turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Hunt turkeys in a creek bottom?

Started by Jobofly, April 10, 2018, 09:51:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jobofly

What are everyone's thoughts on this?  Anyone ever tried it or had any success?

Double B

Yes, great place to strike up a gobbler.   Possible good roost sites on side hill above creeks and they do use the bottoms, have had good success and one of my favorite hunt locations.
Followed by buzzards

West Augusta

If that's where they are then that's where you hunt them.  My best spurred bird roosted over a small creek you could step across.  After I killed him, the next gobbler in line took over that roost. 
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

shaman

I have the most wonderful creek bottom for a hunting venue you could imagine, but I haven't taken a bird from there in more than a decade, and I've frankly stopped trying.  For the first 5 years on this farm, I regularly beat my head against a wall down there, but I had almost zero payoff.   What I found was that the birds invariably pitched down and went right up the sides of the surrounding hills.  Being at the bottom, I had  to chase them uphill the rest of the morning. 

If I had to guess why this was so, I would point to the fact that the hills on either side were tall, and the sun never showed itself until midday. It was always cold down in that bottom, and I suspect the turkeys wanted to get up on the ridgetops and warm up.  Lord knows I froze down there on many occasions.  I began to have success with these birds when I stayed up on top of the ridge and waited for them.   For the past decade, most of my best birds have come from these Pity Creek birds as they come to the top to strut and feed

I said "almost" no luck.  Mooseboy and I did manage to nail a jake down there one time.  The bit of luck was happening on one of the most fascinating phenomena I've ever witnessed outdoors.  The bottom of Pity Creek is fairly tight.  The creek runs year round, and there's less than 50 yards of bottom land. Most of it is on my side of the creek.  On either side the hillsides are filled with fairly mature second growth oaks.  The turkeys roost in those oaks, and the number of gobblers can get substantial.  So much so that on a few occasions, I have heard waves of gobbling go up and down that creek as gobbler sets off gobbler sets off gobbler and the impetus flows back and forth.   It gets so the waves travelling in different directions meet and interact,  much like ripples on a pond.  All this happens in the extended gloom of this dark bottom, so there is nothing to see, but the gobbling is so loud and so focused that you feel it.  It is not a regular thing either.  For all my trips down there, I have only heard it a few times, and only once when I was at the bottom, in the middle of it.

Back when I was on the T&TH forum, I mentioned this phenomena, and I found one other fellow that had heard this.  He, like me, thought it was an incredible blessing. However, I don't think he had much luck hunting his gobblers as I did I.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries  of SW Bracken County, KY 
Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

Jobofly

Thanks for the great info. I was wondering about sitting at the top of the ridge. I have a deer stand in that area and heard the turkeys gobbling during deer season. I think I'll go scout there Saturday morning

Jobofly

I sat that ridge this morning and heard nothing.  It was pretty windy though so I am hoping that's why I didn't hear anything

jims

On super windy days in Nebraska (which is common) the only place I often find turkeys is in sheltered draws and creek bottoms.  It can sometimes be challenging finding them if toms aren't gobbling and they are in the draws.  If not windy they often head to their strutting grounds on hillsides but they also are found moving up and down creek bottoms.  The country varies so much from place to place a lot depends upon the topography and vegetation found in a particular area.  In areas with trees only found in creek bottoms turkeys tend to roost in the tallest trees.  If they leave the creek bottoms in the morning they likely will return there in the late afternoon and evenings to roost.  Obviously things can change from one area to the next.

Jobofly

What to,e do they normally roost in the evening.?