OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Mossberg QC should be ASHAMED of themselves.

Started by mightyjoeyoung, April 17, 2018, 05:39:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mightyjoeyoung

My nephew was having trouble patterning his model 500 the other day so I told him to drop it off and I'd take a look at it.  What I saw has to be about the ROUGHEST mossberg barrel I've ever seen and I've had HUNDREDS come through my hands.  Running the cleaning rod down the bbl, you could FEEL the tool marks and hear them as the end of the rod skipped from one to the next.  So I got my stuff together and got to work.  The darker pic is of the barrel before I got hold of it and it's actually CLEAN but sure didn't look like it!  Two solid HOURS of polishing later and the result was a million times better,  but those tool marks are still there just ahead of the chamber.  Going ro shoot it again and see how she does.  If my hard work doesn't help mossberg will be getting a phone call...
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

bbcoach

Wow Joe, those aren't tooling marks those are gouges, period.  The final ream and honing of that barrel looks as if the machinist used a hand full of sand to finish it.  That definitely isn't a 250 or less finish.  That barrel definitely needs to be returned for replacement.

mightyjoeyoung

Quote from: bbcoach on April 17, 2018, 05:55:39 PM
Wow Joe, those aren't tooling marks those are gouges, period.  The final ream and honing of that barrel looks as if the machinist used a hand full of sand to finish it.  That definitely isn't a 250 or less finish.  That barrel definitely needs to be returned for replacement.

If it doesn't shoot, believe me, it will be.  Must have been one of those Friday afternoon LATE toolings or maybe a Monday morning hangover barrel.

davisd9

Would have just sent it back when seeing that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

mightyjoeyoung

Quote from: davisd9 on April 17, 2018, 07:12:28 PM
Would have just sent it back when seeing that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As would I, but its new to him and he really wants to use it formthe PA turkey season in 2 weeks.  If he sent it back now he wouldn't see it till well after the close...  like I said, if it doesn't shoot it will go back and he'll probably end up running one of mine, but that is a last resort. 

stinkpickle

...but...but...Mossberg wad catchers start before the forcing cone.   :TooFunny:

mightyjoeyoung

Most mossy barrels might not be mirror shiny,  but I have never seen one even remotely like this.  A quick polish session and you're usually good in about 15 minutes.  Ths sucker looks like it could grate cheese. 

TJK68

Good luck if you have to call Mossberg CS, worst experience with a gun of my life over a 930. Was shooting  way high and way right, I am talking about 18 inches. My dealer called them multiple times as well as myself, said there was nothing they could do about it, did not have any barrels to send for exchange. I know there are some good shooting ones, just my experience with them.....

mspaci

after really bad experiences in QC & Customer service there will NEVER be another mossberg in this house, Mike

Mossyguy

I have been leery of Mossberg ever since they first came out with the 835. That thing wouldn't eject and the forearm shook like crazy. If Remington starts going downhill with the fallout of this bankruptcy I think I'll switch to Browning.

mightyjoeyoung

Well.  She SHOOTS.  All the hard work I put in paid dividends. Two shots with game loads to center the red dot and a couple small tweets during patterning and I think my nephew better be SMOOOOOTH on the trigger inside 30 yards.  3/1.75/4, 5 ,6 Longbeards ALL put up ridiculous numbers.  At 20 yads all patterns were the size of a cantaloupe, at 30 the size of a basketball and at 40 the size of a beach ball, just slightly under 20" with few flyers.  The pic is of the 6s at 40 yards with the only splatter target I had.  I held low figuring that I'd need to adjust again but the pattern hit right where I laid the dot, just a touch left.  I made that adjustment and called it a day!  I see dead birds in his near future.

Rapscallion Vermilion

TJK68

Fl strutter

Nice job. Which polishing method do you use?

mightyjoeyoung

Quote from: Fl strutter on April 18, 2018, 10:17:50 PM
Nice job. Which polishing method do you use?

Oh, I got kind of aggressive with this one!  I've always done it similarly to the method on this site, but this time wgen that DIDN'T WORK, I went to a medium-coarse steel wool wrapped around a phosphor brush and coated in medium polishing compound.  I sprayed the bore down with pb blaster and basically ran a ryobi one litium battery 18 volt drill drynrunning it up and down the barrel, changing wool every 30 passes or so and running a swab through to clear out the schmutz between rounds.  About 200 roumds total.  Then I used the same brush, but wrapped in 0000 steel wool and a fine polishing compound and ran that for about 100 passes.  The factory mod choke is BEYOND smooth.  Like glass.  Lol. Looks lile my SBE II barrel.  Like I said, it's better than it was, but still not where it should be had it not been so bad to start with. Lucky for my nephew, once I get hold of something like this I'm like a pittbull on a prokchop.  Lol