OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Which 20ga shotgun to set-up just for turkeys?

Started by Sand Man, April 19, 2011, 11:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sand Man

I ran across a deal on a SBE 24" gun this year that I turned into my dedicated turkey gun.  I put a pistol grip stock on it and had a weaver rail put on it for the FFII.  It's been absolutely devastating on the 5 turkeys killed with it this year.

I've got a Benelli M1 20ga that throws a great pattern with the TSS.  However, I'm not drilling and tapping the receiver on that gun for a weaver mount to put a FFII on it.  I have had zero luck finding any of the bolt on fiber optic sights that mount to the rib that would allow me to dial it in either.  So, with that said I've decided to fix me up a dedicated 20ga turkey gun with a FFII and pistol grip.

I'd love to stick with a Benelli, but they don't make a pistol grip stock for any of the 20ga's that I have found.  That's a showstopper for me as I really like the control I have with my SBE I put the pistol grip on.  I don't think I'd like the cost of having a custom stock made.

So, with that said what are my options for a 20ga I can put a pistol grip stock on?

I'm leaning towards the 870 youth as it's cost effective, seems to throw good patterns, and I can put a Knoxx adjustable stock on it where it will be comfortable for me to use and my wife if she goes turkey hunting with me.  I also like the idea of a 21" barrel for carrying around in the turkeys woods.

Any suggestions or help is appreciated!

If you were going to build a 20ga turkey gun what would you build and why?

Let the little twenty EAT!!!!

bunk

I just picked up an 870 youth myself. I've not got it set up yet but I can tell you when I get done with it my 12ga may stay home alot.

gobbler336

this season i have turned my old  870 20 ga dove gun into a gobbler killing machine, with ofcourse the help of hal and tss.  i have had that gun since i was 8 and its so light and just feels good.  the barrels is a bit long at 28'' but that has not been a problem yet,  but the main reason i like it is that it hits where i'm aiming with just the plain bead, i used to have to use a scope and i  liked it but since going to my sweet 20 gauge with just a plain bead i have put the 835 up for sale along with all the rem heavyshot i stockpiled.  my 20 ga and #9 tss have went 11 for 11 this season and we still got 6 weeks left!  have i mentioned how much i like my 20 ga.  oh and after the 20 goes off i don't have a headache either.  i still have the same wood stock that my dad sawed off for it to fit me on it too.  not a fancy gun but deadly. 

i think it would be neat to find one of the old ithaca 20ga and get it to shoot tss.  the chokes would be the only problem as most of them were fixed i believe.  don't hear much about the ithacas on here, but they used to be real popular.

blackpowder hunter

on the ithaca subject: i was going to buy one in feb. to set up for rabbit hunting. i was going to get a fixed choked one and have the barrel shortened to 21 or 22 inches and have chokes put in it. i think it would have made a great gun. i ended up buying a browning bps upland special 20 gauge. its worked great and has turned into a great turkey gun as well.

Ranman

Can't go wrong with 870. It will take pistol grip stock, and has many choke options to choose from. Benelli, Beretta, and Browning also good guns with great patterns, and choke options, but no pistol grip options.  Ithaca also option, could find one on Gunbroker, but would have to have it tapped for threaded choke.  My lil 20 is nice to carry, and deadly.
Ranman

redleg06

Sand Man

I've found a 870 Express with wood stocks, but a 26" barrel in a Pawn Shop for $170.  Tough for me to spend $300+ just to get the 21" barrel.  Opinions?

MOSPURS

Quote from: Sand Man on April 21, 2011, 09:00:20 AM
I've found a 870 Express with wood stocks, but a 26" barrel in a Pawn Shop for $170.  Tough for me to spend $300+ just to get the 21" barrel.  Opinions?

especially since it will probably out pattern the 21"
use the bucks for chokes,shells, possibly optics

gophert

Not sure if your wal-mart sells guns, but mine keeps the 870 20 ga Youth in stock pretty much all the time.  $257.  Perhaps a drive down to Hermitage, TN is cost effective? They may do a store to store transfer.  If not, pretty much all others are priced at $329 to $347 from what I have seen.

I hate that all the new wal-marts have gone liberal on us and stopped carrying guns.   

goblr77

Quote from: gophert on April 21, 2011, 02:46:24 PM
Not sure if your wal-mart sells guns, but mine keeps the 870 20 ga Youth in stock pretty much all the time.  $257.  Perhaps a drive down to Hermitage, TN is cost effective? They may do a store to store transfer.  If not, pretty much all others are priced at $329 to $347 from what I have seen.

I hate that all the new wal-marts have gone liberal on us and stopped carrying guns.   

The Wal-Marts in Dothan, AL never carry 870 20ga youth models. They might have a 26" barrel rig in there from time to time. They used to always have some 12ga camo 870's, 1187's and 835's but no longer have those in the rack. They are replacing all the better guns with Maverick 88's and H & R single shots.

Sand Man

Quote from: gophert on April 21, 2011, 02:46:24 PM

No joke.  I don't know that I've seen a gun in a Wal-mart around here in a couple of years.   :(

slicksbeagles1

Did you try williams firesights the slugger is what they call the model that i bought and others on here have recommended i like mine. optics planet has them for around 40.00 shipped.

Sand Man

Quote from: slicksbeagles1 on April 21, 2011, 05:10:12 PM
Did you try williams firesights the slugger is what they call the model that i bought and others on here have recommended i like mine. optics planet has them for around 40.00 shipped.

Not following you here slicks.  Are you talking about a replacement stock maybe??

turkey_slayer

What kind of pattern was your M1 throwing with TSS and what choke?  My uncle has one and they are super light!

Sand Man

Quote from: turkey_slayer on April 24, 2011, 09:51:41 AM
What kind of pattern was your M1 throwing with TSS and what choke?  My uncle has one and they are super light!

They are light.  I'd love to have one for turkey hunting, but I'm drilling and tapping the receiver for a red-dot. 

Undertaker .582 choke.  Here's some 40yard patterns:

Here's a Carlson's .575 at 40yds: