OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Facemask debate

Started by RiverRoost, January 24, 2022, 06:39:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paulmyr

I use whatever mask is available at what ever store I can find to replace the one I couldn't find when I set up on the last turkey. It's usually laying next to one of the gloves I can't find as well.
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

simpzenith

Quote from: vthokie7227 on January 26, 2022, 10:04:17 AM
This challenge is why I'm a burnt cork guy. Although, I have found the leafy head net that came with my ASAT leafy suit does a great job (I remember where I put it).

I tried burnt cork but it was a pain to use and remove so I went back to using kid's face paint from Walmart. Cheap, easy to apply and comes off easily with baby wipes.

Howie g

A few vertical black face paint stripes , pull cap down low works for me .
As a glasses wearer , face mask fog my spectacles up .

Dtrkyman

If I use face paint it is carbo mask.

RED NECK

Quote from: Dtrkyman on January 30, 2022, 11:09:21 AM
If I use face paint it is carbo mask.
Carbo is excellent stuff and what I wear bow hunting. I hate anything on my face when I anchor.
Browning'...."The Best There Is"

Austin 3:16...........

GobbleNut

Can't use a mask due to glasses fogging up regardless of what kind I have tried.  Don't like face paint due to the mess and alarmed looks you get from others if you happen to end up in a public setting with it on.  I use a cap with attached head-net, but I have to cut out the center of the head-net to keep my glasses from fogging (and I don't like ANY of my vision being obscured by the netting)...but at least the rest of the netting covers up my glaring white hair (don't like to call it gray...makes it sound like I'm old or something...  ;D )

So, when a gobbler gets close enough to see me, if I am sitting, I am usually "knees up, head down on the gun, cap down tight".  If I have chosen a prone position for my set-up (which is admittedly rare, but does happen on occasion), the low profile generally eliminates the need for anything but the pulled-down cap. Finally, If I have chosen a standing position (perhaps even more rare), I will be behind something that I have purposefully chosen that offers the needed concealment, not only for my face, but also for the rest of me until it is too late for the gobbler anyway. 

On those occasions when I feel like my face might be just a bit too exposed for my liking (and the gobbler's), I will use my camo-gloved, "off" hand to cover that portion of my face that might be exposed at whatever angle is needed towards the bird(s).  If needed, I will split my fingers around my eyes as circumstance might dictate.  Generally, however, if I have readied myself properly for any gobbler that I know is (or may be) approaching, I have already situated myself such that I "have assumed the proper position" and will have little need to be concerned about whether I have any sort of face covering on or not.   :)

...Bet you didn't think you would get such a complicated explanation about the subject of face masks, huh?....   :angel9:

GunRunner

Quote from: simpzenith on January 29, 2022, 04:54:45 PM
Quote from: GunRunner on January 25, 2022, 06:09:46 PM
I don't get these leading outdoor products companies producing camo face masks or even the nice camo zip up fleece I got for Christmas that has a camo pattern on outside and white fabric on the inside?

These folks make their living developing and selling their products to us hunters.....how do they miss details like this.

GunRunner

Because they are printed using dye sublimation. It's a cheaper way to print fabric but it has to be printed on polyester. That's why the majority of camo clothing is polyester.

simpzenith......why can't these manufacturers flip the fabric over and do this sublimation printing process on the backside so we have camo on both sides of the fabric or article?
Sure it will increase cost but I am sure most us here would rather have their masks, and other products fully camoed rather worry about an extra dollar or two. If I get a bit warm in my new fleece and unzip it, the snow white inside is visible like a neon sign.

GunRunner

simpzenith

Quote from: GunRunner on January 30, 2022, 02:08:07 PM
Quote from: simpzenith on January 29, 2022, 04:54:45 PM
Quote from: GunRunner on January 25, 2022, 06:09:46 PM
I don't get these leading outdoor products companies producing camo face masks or even the nice camo zip up fleece I got for Christmas that has a camo pattern on outside and white fabric on the inside?

These folks make their living developing and selling their products to us hunters.....how do they miss details like this.

GunRunner

Because they are printed using dye sublimation. It's a cheaper way to print fabric but it has to be printed on polyester. That's why the majority of camo clothing is polyester.

simpzenith......why can't these manufacturers flip the fabric over and do this sublimation printing process on the backside so we have camo on both sides of the fabric or article?
Sure it will increase cost but I am sure most us here would rather have their masks, and other products fully camoed rather worry about an extra dollar or two. If I get a bit warm in my new fleece and unzip it, the snow white inside is visible like a neon sign.

GunRunner

They could but it would nearly double the cost of apparel, not to mention it would likely negatively affect the side already printed because the heat would cause the ink on the previously printed side to start sublimating again. You'll lose intensity (will appear faded) and will drive the ink further into the fabric and become more visible on the other side. That will in turn mess up the appearance on the newly printed second side.

greencop01

I use Mossy Oak half mask, mesh with a draw string, great mask cheap and works well. I like old bottomland.
We wait all year,why not enjoy the longbeard coming in hunting for a hen, let 'em' in close !!!

Mbhyman88

Quote from: Moneyball11 on January 25, 2022, 03:18:11 PM
If you wear a hat this works fantastic. I've used merino, polyester, mesh, and in my opinion this one is the best.

https://www.firstlite.com/products/phantom-3d-balaclava

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wish they made this in Green Leaf or Obsession.

Mbhyman88

Quote from: greencop01 on February 02, 2022, 04:30:23 PM
I use Mossy Oak half mask, mesh with a draw string, great mask cheap and works well. I like old bottomland.

I've got a couple of the Mossy Oak store ones and a Nomad one.  Quality on the Nomad is much better and the one that stays in my vest.

Meleagris gallopavo

Quote from: Sir-diealot on January 25, 2022, 05:06:20 PM
I know this is not the brand you asked about, but I have been using these because of the whole covid thing. I am very claustrophobic and have had a very hard time because of the masks adding heat to my face (if either the mouth or the nose was allowed to be uncovered it would not be a problem) This is very breathable, does not work into that soft area under the eyes and is very comfortable outside when there is a lower temperature or a breeze.

I have not tried them in super hot weather, I carry a hand held fan and just use them together when I have to go to my doctors office or any other place they will not let me in without a mask. Hope it helps and best of luck during the season.

I kinda like this one.  Thanks for sharing.  I'm going to look into it.
I live and hunt by empirical evidence.

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Meleagris gallopavo on February 03, 2022, 10:29:18 AM
Quote from: Sir-diealot on January 25, 2022, 05:06:20 PM
I know this is not the brand you asked about, but I have been using these because of the whole covid thing. I am very claustrophobic and have had a very hard time because of the masks adding heat to my face (if either the mouth or the nose was allowed to be uncovered it would not be a problem) This is very breathable, does not work into that soft area under the eyes and is very comfortable outside when there is a lower temperature or a breeze.

I have not tried them in super hot weather, I carry a hand held fan and just use them together when I have to go to my doctors office or any other place they will not let me in without a mask. Hope it helps and best of luck during the season.

I kinda like this one.  Thanks for sharing.  I'm going to look into it.
You're quite welcome, hope it works for you.

Sent from my A574BL using Tapatalk

Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Turkeyman

Quote from: GobbleNut on January 30, 2022, 12:11:16 PM
Can't use a mask due to glasses fogging up regardless of what kind I have tried.  Don't like face paint due to the mess and alarmed looks you get from others if you happen to end up in a public setting with it on.  I use a cap with attached head-net, but I have to cut out the center of the head-net to keep my glasses from fogging (and I don't like ANY of my vision being obscured by the netting)...but at least the rest of the netting covers up my glaring white hair (don't like to call it gray...makes it sound like I'm old or something...  ;D )

Exactly why I had cataract surgery last October. Glasses thing of the past. Absolutely hated them for either turkey or bow hunting deer. As far as my prefered face mask it's a Quaker Boy bandito or equivalent. I lay claim to be the "inventor" of the 3/4 facemask, but that's a different story.