turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

How can you tell?

Started by LilFridWV, April 19, 2011, 05:31:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LilFridWV

This will be my brothers and my second year hunting this property here in WV. I went out scouting and found a lot of turkey scratches around a big oak tree. It looks perfect for a roosting spot. Last year, we set up down below that tree and had a gobbler sound off. How can you tell what tree a gobbler roost in?

Hognutz

Turkey poop is the biggest giveaway. Also feathers on the ground, under the tree.
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

harvester

From my experience, most turkeys won't roost in the same tree every night but sometimes within a small area. Maybe the same hollow or tip of the same ridge etc....

3.5inchpainfulldeath

Quote from: Hognutz on April 19, 2011, 05:36:08 PM
Turkey poop is the biggest giveaway. Also feathers on the ground, under the tree.
x2
also if you can get on the same plain as them early in am or above them that would be best. They usually don't roost in the same tree, especially now that they are on the move looking for hens.  They might be in the same area. Calling a bird down to you is not impossible, it's "usually" just easier to get them to come up or across to you.

LilFridWV

The area is perfect. I had a setup last year on out the logging road from that specific tree. I had a DSD upright hen out on the road and he flew down and came in behind me spittin and struttin wantin the hen to follow. About 50 yards down off the hilltop, I sat up in a field and two gobblers came 20 yards down a loggin road and stopped out behind a thicket. They did the same thing, waitin on the hen to follow them. I've got the DSD breeding pair for them this year. I just need to pinpoint his location. Thanks for the help guys! :z-guntootsmiley: