OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Hevi 5 patterns?

Started by nickp, February 21, 2018, 10:49:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nickp

Has anyone shot the Hevi Shot 5s? If so, how did they do?

deadbuck

Just not enough pellets in that load for me to want to try it.

Old Gobbler

I shot them , it's been a long time ....

If I remember they shot somewhere around 150-160 , and I was using a rhino .685

The same choke with a FASTER nitro 2.25 oz load with hevi5 shot 180 ,....I killed a lot of turkeys with that load

:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

dixiemagnum80

I've killed a bunch of birds with the heavy 5's. I shot the Remington heavy shot 6's before they were discontinued. Sure wish they still made them.....

nickp

That sounds better than what I was thinking. Mag blends have done really well out of my nef 10 but I keep seeing the 5s and have always wondered if they would shoot better than say the federal hwt 7s, of which I averaged about the same as you did with the 5s (160s).  I have to try them now, just because. BTW, Rogers sporting goods has the federal hwt 7s at 19.99 a box if you get 3 or more.

the Ward

Thanks for the heads up on the heavyweight. I just checked Rogers website and they are showing the $19.99 price per box only if you buy a case? Or is it in another section other than ammo? looked but cant find them. Still a good deal though!

nickp

https://www.rogerssportinggoods.com/ammunition/federal-lead/federal-premium-mag-shok-heavyweight-turkey-shotshells-10ga-3-1-2-2oz.html

Just below the picture of them it says 3 for $19.99. If you add 3 to your cart and check it then you will see $19.99.

the Ward

Thank you very much Nickcp for the info and the link!

nickp

Aurora Wild

I shot the HS 5s when they first came out. BPS 10 with jellyhead choke they were 150 ish in 10 at 40.  Mag blends pattern way better, so I never looked back at the 5s.  Wish they would do a 10ga load in straight 6s or 7s. That would worth trying.