OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Solo or tandem

Started by McGoose, April 19, 2011, 09:05:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you usually hunt turkeys solo or with a partner?

Solo
Tandem

McGoose

I usually hunt solo for turkeys but was curious what the norm is. Does anyone else get a flashback to the movie "Deliverance" : :o when in the woods? I know it crosses my mind and scares the crap outta me.

CASH

t-town and me usually hunt together. I hunt solo some, but I prefer to hunt with a buddy. It's just fun.
A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands, love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper; his hands remember the rifle.

Hognutz

I generally hunt with my Uncle, Nephew or Brother, depending what state I'm in..Mike
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

PANYHunter

Usually with my buddy or dad but sometimes its nice to go out alone. 

LX_Trkyhntr

I voted tandem because for the last 3 years I have been filming my turkey hunts which requires an extra guy coming along.  Before that it was about 75% solo.  This year I am not filming, but have been on a couple of road trips with other guys, so we hunted tandem.  I have hunted twice so far this year solo which was really nice, but I like hunting with my buddies as well.
Hook's Custom Call Prostaff, Ol'Tom's Elite Team, Vaportrail Archery Prostaff, KTECH Design Prostaff
[IMG]http://i1013.photobucket.com/albums/af259/OpenSeason1/oltom-logo.png[/i

Muskie03

I love hunting with my buddies, but I hunt solo 80% of the time. I slide through the woods better when I'm alone.
Muskie03 Taught Me A Lesson In 2011

If it eats I can catch it, if it bleeds I can kill it.

LX_Trkyhntr

The thing I like the most about hunting alone, is that you don't have to worry about what someone else thinks about where to set up, when to move, how much to call, and on and on.

Hook's Custom Call Prostaff, Ol'Tom's Elite Team, Vaportrail Archery Prostaff, KTECH Design Prostaff
[IMG]http://i1013.photobucket.com/albums/af259/OpenSeason1/oltom-logo.png[/i

Muskie03

Quote from: LX_Trkyhntr on April 19, 2011, 09:47:56 AM
The thing I like the most about hunting alone, is that you don't have to worry about what someone else thinks about where to set up, when to move, how much to call, and on and on.

Or what there doing that's gonna blow the hunt, And people just seem to trudge through the woods without a thought of stealth--pet peeve of mine about my clients, some of them just follow me like their taking a walk through the PARK!!! PEOPLE THERE'S TURKEYS OUT HERE AND THEY WILL SEE YOU!!!! And they wonder why I move properties a lot.

I should say when I'm hunting tandem I'm not the one shooting. When I'm shooting I'm always alone.
Muskie03 Taught Me A Lesson In 2011

If it eats I can catch it, if it bleeds I can kill it.

McGoose

So does anyone else get spooked? It seems as though I always have a squirrel or bird behind me that sounds like something coming up behind me. One morning me and a buddy had a two mile walk into public land to get to our spot. We just had started walking and heard a gun shot, and this is at 4:45 in the morning. He wanted to turn back because he was afraid it was a meth head or someone doing something illegal that we didn't want to stumble apon. I told him we will be fine, but I'm turning off my flashlight. He asks me why I'm turning off my flashlight, I tell him they are more than likely going to shoot the guy holding the flashlight and I'd prefer it to be you!  :z-guntootsmiley:

lohaus

After I get my bird I like to go tandem.  I helped my buddy get his first bird a few weeks ago, my son get his first bird for the youth hunt, and my buddy get his first double.  I agree with solo you get to do what you want, where you want, and not having to worry about ruining someone's hunt or having them ruin your hunt.

Spring_Woods

Solo thru the week. On the weekends my buddy and I usually get together.
"Was that a gobble?":gobble:

njdevilsb

So far, every time I have hit the turkey woods, it has been with somebody else.  The majority of the time my dad and I go together.  The other times is when I go with my uncle.

Limbstrutter

By my self most of the time.
SuperX3 12Ga
SuperX3 20Ga
Mission MXB 320
Parker Tornado F4

Snoody Bastid

drum817

Usually solo....but I hunt the weekend with my brother-in-law and once in a while with a buddy.
"Freedom Has Never Been Free"