Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Need help time is ticking Mossberg super bantam 20

Started by Poleaxe, March 09, 2018, 11:12:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Poleaxe

Son has a hunt on the 24th. Was holding out for a box of #9 TSS for his big drawed hunt. Most recipes are all out dated. I need to know what works for you mossberg super bantam guys please. I tried Federal HW #7 and Hevi 13 reduced mag blends through the factory full choke and Blackout 575, and Carlsons longbeard xr 568. Most I got was 74 and I know even though he's just 8 that this part is up to me so I know I can find better. Can some give me their combos with the same gun please?

Thanks

Rufus

I have had really good results with Federal Premium 3in 15/16 #6 with a TightWad choke.  I do not remember the pellet count but I do remember that I was impressed with the results.  Both on paper and on 2 toms.

mightyjoeyoung

First question.  Has your shotgun barrel been cleaned? If it is not squeaky clean and all you're doing is firing dirty turkey loads through it, you will not get a good representation of what the gun can do. Once the barrel is squeaky clean, make sure it's tight to the receiver. Get the barrel retention nut as tight as you physically can by hand. Secondly, make sure your point of aim matches your point of impact. If not do you have sites or an optic mounted to the shotgun? The Carlson's long beard choke and the federal heavyweight 7 should be a great combination! Also if you're the one doing the patterning is he shooting the gun in practice? If he is have him shoot light loads only on the pattern board and I am positive even at 8 years old you can get away with a full power 3 inch shell when it comes down to the hunt.  The full power mag blends are only 1 1/4 ounce loads and should pattern well without scaring him.
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

Poleaxe

Quote from: mightyjoeyoung on March 10, 2018, 11:56:56 AM
First question.  Has your shotgun barrel been cleaned? If it is not squeaky clean and all you're doing is firing dirty turkey loads through it, you will not get a good representation of what the gun can do. Once the barrel is squeaky clean, make sure it's tight to the receiver. Get the barrel retention nut as tight as you physically can by hand. Secondly, make sure your point of aim matches your point of impact. If not do you have sites or an optic mounted to the shotgun? The Carlson's long beard choke and the federal heavyweight 7 should be a great combination! Also if you're the one doing the patterning is he shooting the gun in practice? If he is have him shoot light loads only on the pattern board and I am positive even at 8 years old you can get away with a full power 3 inch shell when it comes down to the hunt.  The full power mag blends are only 1 1/4 ounce loads and should pattern well without scaring him.

I run a snake through after every 3rd shot and check for anything in the barrel. It has a reflex sight on it. Nut is tight as a tack. It's not his first time hunting. He's killed one bird last year and a pile of deer but I would like better performance for such a rare hunt. If I send him out settling with only 70 in the 10 and he misses its on me. I gotta do my part.

kiltman

i use the same gun.  I put a Trulock choke made for use with the Federal HW #7, on mine.