OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Advice for beginning trumpet players

Started by Terry, March 10, 2018, 11:11:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Terry

Quote from: mountainhunter1 on April 02, 2022, 01:01:47 PM
Quote from: Terry on March 11, 2022, 01:14:16 PM
https://youtube.com/shorts/qJEBeP1dwIs?feature=share

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is big boy calling right there. I like that clip in a whole bunch of ways. Thanks for sharing that.

I'm killing birds with both the wingbone and the trumpet, but I still sound a lot more like your clips from back in 2018. This may be a really stupid question, but if you don't mind me asking - what was the one or maybe a couple of things that made it click to where you are getting the sound now versus what it was on your older clips? Just world of difference in your current sound. You to me sound pretty much like pure turkey in this latest clip.
I appreciate your kind words. There is two pieces of advice I can give. The first is to listen to as many real hens as possible. Hard to do consistently for most of us in real life so I listen to a lot of recordings of wild turkeys. The Tree Top Turkey CD's are my favorite. Second is to practice, practice, practice. You gain a control over the air you're bringing in that allows you to get the sounds you want but there are no secrets, just practice. There are guys way better than me and they practice a lot more than I do.

mountainhunter1

Quote from: Terry on April 02, 2022, 01:14:25 PM

That is big boy calling right there. I like that clip in a whole bunch of ways. Thanks for sharing that.

I'm killing birds with both the wingbone and the trumpet, but I still sound a lot more like your clips from back in 2018. This may be a really stupid question, but if you don't mind me asking - what was the one or maybe a couple of things that made it click to where you are getting the sound now versus what it was on your older clips? Just world of difference in your current sound. You to me sound pretty much like pure turkey in this latest clip.
I appreciate your kind words. There is two pieces of advice I can give. The first is to listen to as many real hens as possible. Hard to do consistently for most of us in real life so I listen to a lot of recordings of wild turkeys. The Tree Top Turkey CD's are my favorite. Second is to practice, practice, practice. You gain a control over the air you're bringing in that allows you to get the sounds you want but there are no secrets, just practice. There are guys way better than me and they practice a lot more than I do.

I know this was an older thread, but I had never seen it. Anyway, one of the best threads I have seen on here and I bet that there are a bunch on here who had not seen it previously, but yet they will get to now. And a quality thread like this is worth seeing more than once either way.

I noticed in another response of yours that you said the turkeys did not seem to differentiate too much between your earlier sound and what you are doing now. I still sound a bit more like your earlier sound, but the same is true for me as they are coming to me in the woods. I guess we all just have a certain turkey sound we are looking for and I think you are getting pretty close to the sound that my ear prefers. Anyway, congrats - you have clearly put in the homework and it sound really good. Thanks for sharing your journey and your thoughts from it with the trumpet.
"I said to the Lord, "You are my Master! Everything good thing I have comes from You." (Psalm 16:2)

Romans 6:23, Romans 10:13

Chris O

Quote from: Terry on April 02, 2022, 01:14:25 PM

I feel you are being very modest Terry. I was trying to teach my son how to play clean and how to get the rasp on his Ez wingbone today. I started by letting him listen to the Zach Farmer clip. Then he listened to a couple of Prudhomme clips on YouTube. Then I played your clip on this thread and his eyes opened wide and he said man that sounds awesome!!!! I don't feel the other 2 guys I mentioned before you sound any more turkey than you do. You better start entering some calling contests.

Terry

I sincerely appreciate that Chris!

Shoebuck

Ha Terry, just saw this and listened to your yo tube, wow, that is as real as it gets, can't beat a good trumpet.

Terry

Quote from: Shoebuck on April 09, 2022, 07:18:57 PM
Ha Terry, just saw this and listened to your yo tube, wow, that is as real as it gets, can't beat a good trumpet.
Thanks!

justin.arps

Man your sound clips sound amazing, I sound like A wounded buffalo in comparison I'm practicing daily tho I have A passion to be good on A trumpet.

REBELYELL

ltprod

All good advice
Terry
Spitting feathers!!!!

Ranman

fishr64

Spring Creek Calls

2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

runngun

Back to the TOP!!!

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

tal

Terry and I like the same things, he's just much better at it.