News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Advice for beginning trumpet players

Started by Terry, March 10, 2018, 11:11:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

guesswho

Terry. good post and advice.

As I kid, every time my parents got me a drink in a cup with a straw I was practicing how to control the air flow on a suction style caller, I just didn't realize it at the time.  I was always holding the drink half way up in the straw, slowly raising it to the top without getting a drink, lowering it back down to the bottom etc.  Same principal applies with a trumpet style caller except the drink has been replaced with air.  I've heard some people say its taken close to a year to get decent yelps.  It took me about 15 minutes with my first trumpet style caller and I was getting huntable yelps simply by taking slow sips of air.  Once you get to that point with the yelps I think you have the foundation to really improve your proficiency with this style caller.   After that its just practice.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

batsonbe

Thank you for the advice I will try the cupping technique. I am trying to play it while driving so I obviously can't form the chamber. I'm trying to cover the hole, not plug, it with one finger. I've got the raspiness out of the call before I just don't know what I did so I can duplicate that. Right now I feel I'm drawing a small amount of air likely too hard because I'm trying to not be loud, but the force using to draw the air is causing it to have a super high pitch.? Not sure. Just going to keep messing around with it

gergg

Quote from: batsonbe on March 11, 2018, 12:30:38 PM
Thank you for the advice I will try the cupping technique. I am trying to play it while driving so I obviously can't form the chamber. I'm trying to cover the hole, not plug, it with one finger. I've got the raspiness out of the call before I just don't know what I did so I can duplicate that. Right now I feel I'm drawing a small amount of air likely too hard because I'm trying to not be loud, but the force using to draw the air is causing it to have a super high pitch.? Not sure. Just going to keep messing around with it
I practice playing trumpets every day in the car during my long commute, helps with the one-handed calling which is important to master. Using one hand, I use my middle finger across the bell opening to meter the air and the remaining fingers to create the sound chamber. Sometimes with one handed playing I just make a sound chamber with my entire hand wrapped around the bell, then I can squeeze my hand into different shapes to adjust the pitch/raspiness/etc....works really well for soft calling too.
https://www.gwaltneygamecalls.com/

Greg Gwaltney Game Calls
2022 NWTF Grand Nationals - 5th Place Air Operated Call (Trumpet)
2021 NWTF Grand Nationals - 2nd Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet)
2021 NWTF Grand Nationals - 5th Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet Call)
2019 NWTF Grand Nationals - 3rd Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet Call)
2019 NWTF S.E. Call Makers Contest - 4th Place Trumpet Calls

The Cohutta Strutter

Quote from: Terry on March 10, 2018, 01:03:47 PM
Thanks everyone for the kind words and more importantly for adding more. Maybe we can get Shannon to make this thread a sticky. Then we can all watch it grow and learn from one another!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Couldn't agree with you more ! :icon_thumright:
Anybody seen America lately?

callmakerman

Great post Terry and long over due. For me where I placed the mouth piece on my lips made a big difference. If you watch guys like Zack Farmer play they place it in the middle which does not work for me. I place the mouth piece to the right side of middle and this gives me the control and playability I'm looking for.

Terry

Just added Chris Brumfiel to the list. Received a trumpet from him today that is well built and plays well at a good price.

Chris O

Sharp looking call Terry. I found that on Chris's trumpet I don't need to cover much of the hole or any at all. I feel I get a good sound just by cupping my hands over the bell. If I cover it I only block about 1/4 of the hole. I would love to hear you play it if you are smarter than me for posting a sound file. I did a You tube called Brumfiel trumpet and Turkey call Ezolt wingbone. I would love to hear some suggestions from you If you can find them on you tube. Enjoy your call

Terry

I will post a sound clip soon if I can. But I am not an expert or even very good. I just have a passion for trumpets and want to help people with the learning curve. I figure I'll be learning for as long as I try to play a trumpet.

Chris O

I know I'm not the greatest trumpet player, but man I love playing them. I play everyday it may only be a few yelps some days but it's usually more. Some people sit on their porch swing playing a harmonica I sit on mine and play my trumpets .it's a relaxing hobby

boatpaddle

Excellent post, Terry....

2 things, I'll add, that I feel are important. ..

1. Practice with your gloves on..
2. Never point your trumpet or wingbone directly at an incoming gobbler...

Allot of times with the excitement,  we tend to get louder, then we need to be...With a suction call being omni- directional,  they  are louder then we think , when pointed directly at a gobbler..

Sent from my SM-J320P using Tapatalk
Recognize
Adapt
Overcome

Sir-diealot

I am trying to learn the wingbone myself and have been using these videos that are for the trumpet to help me out a bit. Next year I should be able to afford a trumpet, I may make it my CHRISTmas/birthday present to myself this year. Here are the videos that were suggested to me. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLbF6qMoJbTLzkdmzIrqSSxeTkJKKmXVg8
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

boatpaddle

When you make any change to your calling style....

Only do one thing/change at a time...It eliminates the guess work of the, which change worked & which one didn't issue...

Stay relaxed, when running your trumpet....

Practice for a short period of time...Your lips do get tired & sore, if you over do it.

Recognize
Adapt
Overcome

Chris O

Quote from: boatpaddle on April 13, 2018, 06:58:20 AM
Excellent post, Terry....

2 things, I'll add, that I feel are important. ..

1. Practice with your gloves on..
2. Never point your trumpet or wingbone directly at an incoming gobbler...

Allot of times with the excitement,  we tend to get louder, then we need to be...With a suction call being omni- directional,  they  are louder then we think , when pointed directly at a gobbler..
Excellent points!!! I learned about the gloves changing things and never thought about the pointing at birds. I try to point in all different directions so it seems I am moving but never thought of directly at them, thanks

Terry

Here is an inside clip of me playing. No matter how hard I try it is very loud inside and echoy. Probably due to my very open floor plan in my house. It distorts the sound which brings me to another point, practice outside when you can. It totally changes the sound dynamic. Right now I am afraid to because I have some toms occasionally hanging around behind my house that I might be hunting in a couple weeks.

https://youtu.be/4Z2xaRqMtCg

boatpaddle

"KILLER"......

Recognize
Adapt
Overcome