turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Scouting southern thick pine forests

Started by Damson, February 22, 2018, 01:26:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Damson

The area that I normally hunt is mainly 30 year old and younger pine trees.  The area is also laden with thick underbrush, briars, yaupon etc.  The area also has hardwood branches and creek bottoms, however, those are very thick as well (but not as thick as the pines). 

The forest service said that the woods are on a 5 year prescribed burn rotation, however, they are lucky if they do it every 10 years. 

I managed to kill a bird on this public land last year.  He managed to walk into the clearing I was on from a deer trail that a person would have a very difficult time walking through. 

I do find tracks along some of the roads, but there aren't many roads in the area.

Any ideas on where to scout?  Would I be better off emphasizing my time scouting the few openings in the pines, the transition areas where the pines turn into hardwoods in the bottoms, or the bottoms themselves? 

Also, would you scout it any differently if the woods had been recently burned?   

bbcoach

Not sure of your location since you didn't include that when you signed up but planted pines is what we hunt in here in Eastern NC.  Each piece of property is a little different since the pines are on a 30 year rotation.  We normally ride the roads and listen for gobbling early mornings.  You normally can pinpoint roosting areas this way.  The birds will use the roads as travel corridors and strut zones so concentrate on the roads.  Binos are a must.  You can spot birds at greater distances and be able to identify numbers and sex at greater distance this way.  About 3 weeks before the season starts, we spend many early mornings listening and glassing.  The birds will give away their positions.  If the pines have had a recent controlled burn, scout this area well.  As spring green up occurs, the turkeys love the young green vegetation and more open areas to strut and feed in.  Good Luck and keep the questions coming.

cuttinAR

Hunting thick pine plantations is what I am used to here in AR.  What I hunt is never burned and in short rotation so it is thick as can be.  I generally stay away from the thickest stuff and look for areas that have recently been thinned or clear cuts that are 1-3 years old.  They'll hit the borders of those and use the hardwoods left in the draws. 

Saying all that, best method is to listen prior to season and catalog as many birds as you can.  I'll drive the ridge tops and listen, then return to see if I can hear any on the ground to find their strut zones.  I agree with old roads being good strut zones, but also small open pockets in the thick woods work too especially if sunny first thing.  Hardest part isn't getting them in range because you can get so close to them, it is seeing them once they are in range.  Roads help with that.  Good luck.

RAJ

Scout roads closest to creek bottoms, especially right after rains. They are going to be in or along the creek bottoms at first of season. Walk along the crests of ridges , and if you find any deer trails note them for access later. Look on aerial photos for any wildlife openings. Google earth is good for this.

Listen early in the mornings for gobbling activity BEFORE season as they are usually bunched up then.
If you hear several call me.

Rufus

If your pines are as thick with briars, yaupons, etc as the ones I hunt then roads are about the only way to scout for turkeys and their sign.

g8rvet

Those thick areas are where the hens tend to nest, so it is not unusual for them to be heading that way around 10ish where I hunt.  Sometimes gobblers are trying to follow.  If it is really thick, do most of your scouting with your ears and the rest by looking for tracks.  Then figure out where they travel and try to be there before they get there. It is a lot easier to call a Tom to where he already wants to go and to where he thinks a hen is likely to be.
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.