North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Newbie wanting advice on buying first Turkey call

Started by NC Rich, March 29, 2018, 11:00:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

coyote1

Welcome to OG!

If your season opens in a week i would concentrate on the box call, it's the easiest to learn imo. The mouth call will take a lot longer to become proficient and the sonic dome is the hardest one that i have tried to run. Plus you have to experiment with several calls to see what fits your palate best.

Were the glass calls you tried in the store conditioned? If the surface was worn slick or people touched the conditioned spot trying them out they will sound horrible.

Bowguy

For this year you have a box. Forget all the extra stuff. I used straight up mouth calls for many many years.
It takes time to learn one so begin now practicing for next year. Scott Ellis has a good instructional.
Now learn the sounds. David Halloran has some good videos that show running a box call. Lovett Williams has some CDs that give insight to the whys and you'll hear real birds talking.
Production pots can and do work. If it wasn't a Cody I'd stay away. Cut your losses a really good custom pot runs way easier and sounds better. First things first though. Time is short. Work on getting it w the box call. Hint-if it rains put/run the call inside a dry bread bag. It'll keep call working

jim570

I got a late start at turkey hunting, also.  Started 12 years ago at age 60.  As mentioned, the Enticer pot calls are  excellent and very reasonably priced.  I have a number of them and Al Holbert is local to me.  Give Al a call at 570-395-3279.  Tell him your situation and see what he says.  The nice thing about pot calls is the strikers don't cost much and each striker produces a different sound.  The more different sounds you can produce, the better your chances are.

You don't have to be a great caller to kill gobblers.  Some of them will come in after just a few yelps.  It's the tough ones you will need the skills for.  Don't over call, if they start to come in, just be quiet.  Don't call any louder than you have to.  Some soft purrs and clucks and scratching in the leaves works great.

I'm not very good with mouth calls.  I keep one in my mouth in case I need to do a couple of clucks when they are in close to get them to stick their head up when I am ready to shoot.

I also carry a Lynch Foolproof 101 box call.  It is very easy to use and sounds great.  They can be found on Ebay for a reasonable price.  Mine was made in the mid '70's.

model94

Quote from: Bowguy on April 06, 2018, 12:35:44 PM
For this year you have a box. Forget all the extra stuff. I used straight up mouth calls for many many years.
It takes time to learn one so begin now practicing for next year. Scott Ellis has a good instructional.
Now learn the sounds. David Halloran has some good videos that show running a box call. Lovett Williams has some CDs that give insight to the whys and you'll hear real birds talking.
Production pots can and do work. If it wasn't a Cody I'd stay away. Cut your losses a really good custom pot runs way easier and sounds better. First things first though. Time is short. Work on getting it w the box call. Hint-if it rains put/run the call inside a dry bread bag. It'll keep call working

^^
This