OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

hen this morning...

Started by tiggere, April 18, 2011, 07:55:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tiggere

Guys we were after them again this morning and have officially been 7 days without hearing a gobble...it was around 10:30 this morning when I decided to set us up in a back field and do some calling just hoping one might come out and wanna play...that's when something kinda cool happened...after about 30 minutes or so of waiting and calling I decided to move on and head to the house (had the boy with me) and as usual he had to go pee so he goes behind a tree and finishes his business when I see a hen fly into the field...now this is a tiny little field (maybe 60 yards long) and we are both standing up within 15 yards of the edge dead center on the sideline...I tell him to sit down and don't move!!!...well the hen settles in and starts feeding around...she hung around for about 40 minutes walking up and down that field...she started to leave and I purred and clucked to her and she RAN back into the field straight to the decoy and started feeding again...I don't know what I said but she liked it alot :P...one thing I did notice and hence the story about it...she was not making alot of noise calling...I only heard her one time doing some soft purring and clucking but she was only 25 feet away when she did it and I just heard it meaning she was still being pretty darn quite...she finally got to withing 8 steps of me and buggered out...

I'm wondering if we are not calling too loud and putting the toms off...should I tone down the calling a bit or would you still go a little bit aggressive when running and gunning...keeping in mind this is public land and it was packed today...

furtracker

Quote from: tiggere on April 18, 2011, 07:55:17 PM
I'm wondering if we are not calling too loud and putting the toms off...should I tone down the calling a bit or would you still go a little bit aggressive when running and gunning...keeping in mind this is public land and it was packed today...
I think calling to loud probably spooks more toms than anything.  A lot of times they are closer than you think and its easy to blow'em out.

TauntoHawk

you've gotta gauge the turkeys mood

when the birds arent talking much than keep the calling light and friendly... soft clucks and purrs and just try and stay in high traffic areas

when the birds are fired up and the gobbles are ringing and then hens are making a racket than its time to amp the calling up a bit
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>