turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Missed twice!!!!

Started by Spring_Woods, April 18, 2011, 12:25:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spring_Woods

I can't believe it still. Same bird. An hour later missed again.

I guess thats what happens when you are over confident.

But fellas, I had this bird pegged.

I was walking down this ridge hooting and didn't hear anything by the field so I went up and further back in towards the listening spot. I am walking back and hear the first bird of the morning fire off. GOBBBLE!
Once he started about 5 or 6 others joined in. I'm listening there on the ridge opposite of them. So about flydown most of the birds get quiet as expected except for the first one I heard. So I make the trip up the hill to get after him. I'm walking down the grassy path on the mountain top and GOBBLE! Ok, well he's close now so I freeze and I can see him strutting in the trail. So I sit down up against the nearest tree I could find. About 5 minutes pass, and I can hear something behind me. I turn around to look and it's a hen! She sees me and takes to the sky. Now, it's just me and the tom, unless he follows her. I give him a few reassuring yelps and clucks. Next gobble I hear blows my hat off! Then I hear him spitn. (1st time I've ever heard that) he cleared the brush and BOOM! I didn't have my head down fully on the gun. :(.

I'm still a rookie I reckon. :) the second miss, I'll type out later on the computer. Crazy, awesome day in the turkey woods.
"Was that a gobble?":gobble:

njdevilsb

At least it was an exciting hunt.  Nobody wants to miss, but it's going to happen eventually.  Good luck getting back on him for a third time.

Hognutz

The third time is the charm..Good luck to you..Mike
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

West Augusta

We have all missed a few.  Don't let it get to you.
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

stinkpickle

I won't even tell you how many consecutive misses I've had before.  Let's just say you're a ways from the record, and you have nothing to worry about.   :D

Basser69

If you don't miss one every now and then, you aint hunting hard enough

WyoHunter

I'd tell you to keep your chin up and get back at them but I'll just say keep a positive attitude and keep your head DOWN next time that old gobbler struts in on you. Good luck the rest of the season!
If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

bowhunter84

PANYHunter

Spring_Woods

Thanks guys..I never give up. This just makes me want to hunt harder. I posted a new topic in the gun section. I think I may have figured out the culprit.
"Was that a gobble?":gobble:

lmbhngr

I`ve missed several times. I got a fistful of feathers last year for peats sake!! My son even had his first miss last year so fuget about it!!

Ol'Mossy

You'll get him next time, good luck  :z-guntootsmiley:

cannonball

Keep at it and you will get him. Good luck next time out! :anim_25:

harvester

sorry bout the misses but good luck next time.

NCBigShot

Quote from: West Augusta on April 18, 2011, 12:59:41 PM
We have all missed a few.  Don't let it get to you.

....a wise man once said.."if you're not missing, you ain't hunting"... Sometimes these words comfort me. ::)
When the Dogwood is white, the time is right...