turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Raspy & Old OR Young & Sweet??

Started by Texforce, February 27, 2018, 12:01:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Texforce

Have you guys kept track of what has seemed to be the best strategy for EARLY in the season - Being the Raspy, Old Hen, or the Young, Sweet Hen?? I was just curious if one might be better than the other for Early in the season?? Thanks for any input, and Good Huntin'

mightyjoeyoung

Yes. 

Not the answer you were expecting,  but that's the one you're getting. It all depends on the birds in your area, what they're doing as far as breeding, flocking up, number of hens to gobblers, to jakes, etc.   There is no one answer...  Just need to find what  YOUR BIRDS want and give it to em, then give it to em!   :OGturkeyhead:
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

Happy

I never put that much stock in it. Turkeys tones vary. Just cause its higher pitched is not a guarantee that it's a young bird. I run calls that sound like a hen turkey to me and let the gobbler decide. You can get different pitches from different spots on a pot call so I go with what I feel and let the rest play itself out.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

outdoors

TURKEYS   DO   WHAT  TURKEYS   DO
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

silvestris

The hens are noisy early in the start of spring and they get progressively quieter as the season continues.  One would think that he should call accordingly and for the most part, I agree.  I will ooccasionally let fly with a loud and raucous call in late season, but only once.  I think that one should call according to the season.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

shaman

Quote from: Texforce on February 27, 2018, 12:01:44 PM
Have you guys kept track of what has seemed to be the best strategy for EARLY in the season - Being the Raspy, Old Hen, or the Young, Sweet Hen?? I was just curious if one might be better than the other for Early in the season?? Thanks for any input, and Good Huntin'

Yes, one of those will do nicely.

It never ceases to amaze me how random gobblers' tastes can be.  One day it is one thing, another day it's another.  Somedays they could care less. 

Being with the same turkeys all season,  I have to be careful.  If I carry the kitchen sink out and try everything, pretty soon the gobblers are wising up to the fact that there can't be that many new hens around.  I therefore carry a limited choice of calls each day, lest I get tempted to open my kimono and show them everything I've got.  It's usually a fairly wide selection.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries  of SW Bracken County, KY 
Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

daddyduke

Chain smoking bearded hen gets my vote.  :turkey2:
Colossians 3:12 Since God chose you to be the holy people he loves, you must clothe yourselves with tenderhearted mercy, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience.

Double B

Followed by buzzards

Kylongspur88

I think cadence is more important than tone.

Happy

Quote from: silvestris on March 02, 2018, 03:03:21 PM
The hens are noisy early in the start of spring and they get progressively quieter as the season continues.  One would think that he should call accordingly and for the most part, I agree.  I will ooccasionally let fly with a loud and raucous call in late season, but only once.  I think that one should call according to the season.
I don't have the experience you do but I have "experimented" a bit. I honestly have had pretty good success calling pretty aggressively later in the spring. Sometimes you have to rekindle the fire of love in an old gobblers heart.

MK M GOBL

All of the above.

There is no "magic", all birds (hens) have a different "voice" and all (gobblers) like different voices at different times.

I carry a slate and a glass pot call with four strikers = 8 voices
I also carry six different diaphragms = 6 voices
(I like to carry calls that don't sound the same) = I have 14 different voices (hens) with me.

I also think knowing cadence, rythym, inflection and knowing what to "say" when and when not to say anything are just as important!

MK M GOBL

shaman

Quote from: Happy on March 03, 2018, 07:31:53 AM
Quote from: silvestris on March 02, 2018, 03:03:21 PM
I don't have the experience you do but I have "experimented" a bit. I honestly have had pretty good success calling pretty aggressively later in the spring. Sometimes you have to rekindle the fire of love in an old gobblers heart.

Silvestris is right.  As the season progresses, I hear less and less of the hens.  That's mostly because the hens have all bred and are now no longer interested.   However, a gob is still out there searching. If he hears a hen calling, he may very well come from a long distance.  Therefore, in the last week of season, I will let fly with a run of excited yelps.  It needs to be done sparingly, and I usually do these well into the mid-morning lull so I am the only voice out there. 
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries  of SW Bracken County, KY 
Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

J_mill

Sometimes turkeys just act like turkeys. They make no sense or have no reason for doing what they do. Listen to the birds and let them give you the flavor of the day.

bbcoach

I'll say YES as well.  I never put all my eggs in one basket.  I carry multiple calls and use the ones that get the gobblers going on that particular day.  Tomorrow is a different day, so it will probably be something different.  Good Huntin as well.

Happy

Silvestris is right. Most hens are quiet because they have already bred and nesting. They are keeping a low profile tor the security of their nest. A tom has little interest in them. He wants to breed and a hen that expresses that interest can usually still grab his attention. Remember it's closing hour at the bar so to speak.