OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

"Hen boxes"

Started by Terry, February 25, 2018, 12:01:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Terry

I just put an order in for what's usually called a hen box, like what Mr. Hudson makes. I really don't know much about them other than they are beautiful to look at. How do the differ from normal box calls? What's their volume like in comparison? Thanks

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Will

No spring on lid screw so you need to "work the lid" more. I think the sound crisper, more bark if you you know what I mean. They sound great.
Just my opinion.

Yoder409

I have a pair of the springless "hen boxes" from Marlin Watkins.    They run more.like a longbox and sound more like a shortbox.    A little on the unique side.  I like them quite a lot.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Terry

Do they have the typical box call volume?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Rapscallion Vermilion

Yeah, like Will said.  There is greater degree of freedom in the lid which also has more curvature on the bottom. So by varying the angle of attack on the box you get different pitch and degree of rasp.  Also by rotating the lid softly or sharply while doing the stroke you can play with way the yelp breaks.  I find them more fun to run so I have practiced with them more.  My hen boxes from Richard are louder than my standard size boxes, but I can't say they are louder than a long box or boat paddle box with similar internal volume.

Yoder409

My Watkins hen boxes have ALL the volume of a regular shortbox and then some.

One thing I find with the hen box is the ease of kee-keeing.   Now, a bit of that is wood combo.  But the more freely running paddle is most of.it.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

TNBIRD

Yoder can you post a pic of your Watkins hen boxes? 

Jbird22

Hen boxes (Turpin style) have vertical sides and the screw has no spring. You have to cant the lid yourself to get the sound. They are very versatile and have a sound all their own IMO.

gergg

The hen boxes I built last year were very easy to run, I actually liked them better than other boxes. They are plenty loud, my concern would be can they be played quiet enough and maintain good "action", the hen boxes could do that nicely. I am not a box call guy, but if I wee I would use one of these.
https://www.gwaltneygamecalls.com/

Greg Gwaltney Game Calls
2022 NWTF Grand Nationals - 5th Place Air Operated Call (Trumpet)
2021 NWTF Grand Nationals - 2nd Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet)
2021 NWTF Grand Nationals - 5th Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet Call)
2019 NWTF Grand Nationals - 3rd Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet Call)
2019 NWTF S.E. Call Makers Contest - 4th Place Trumpet Calls

Yoder409

Quote from: h_town_ags on February 26, 2018, 07:42:52 PM
Quote from: Yoder409 on February 25, 2018, 01:01:18 PM

One thing I find with the hen box is the ease of kee-keeing.   Now, a bit of that is wood combo.  But the more freely running paddle is most of.it.

I'm assuming you are talking about his mini Boatpaddle or what some call a shorty or do-dat?  Especially how you are talking about how it keekee's so easy bc that miniboat he's making right now fits your description.  Please post a pic.

Nope.  Not a Do-Dat or mini paddle.

Somewhere back along the way I had put "hen box" in quotes because I really do not know what Marlin called these calls.  They are basically a Cost-style hand-checkered box minus the spring and with a thinner paddle. 

I will get some pics up when I can.
PA elitist since 1979

mgm1955

Quote from: Yoder409 on February 26, 2018, 08:05:56 PM
Quote from: h_town_ags on February 26, 2018, 07:42:52 PM
Quote from: Yoder409 on February 25, 2018, 01:01:18 PM

I'm assuming you are talking about his mini Boatpaddle or what some call a shorty or do-dat?  Especially how you are talking about how it keekee's so easy bc that miniboat he's making right now fits your description.  Please post a pic.

Nope.  Not a Do-Dat or mini paddle.

Somewhere back along the way I had put "hen box" in quotes because I really do not know what Marlin called these calls.  They are basically a Cost-style hand-checkered box minus the spring and with a thinner paddle. 

I will get some pics up when I can.
Interested in seeing some pics of these calls.

Will

While I am very fond of Richards hen boxes if you like the way they play you must try one of his Turpin calls. Plays like a hen box but it doesn't have the handle. They are like the old Roger Latham boxes but play a lot better. They fit the palm of your hand just perfect and are easy playin'.

strutnrut

Thanks Will. This style of call are versitile. You can cant the lid inward, run it flat or cant the lid up and run the front of the call. Then you still have the option to apply pressure on the sides of the box an change the tone. You can apply more pressure on the lid and change the tone. You should be able to get raspy to clean yelps. I ould type on an on but i think y'all get the ideal.

sixbird

I have a few of Richards hen boxes, the full size ones and the mini's and his turpin style. Love all of them! They have a unique sound and they're fun to run. You can get plenty of different sounds from them and aesthetically, they're just gorgeous!
That, and Richard is a just plain nice guy...I like to patronize nice fellas.

mgm1955

A very realistic sound, all turkey and a type of call that isn't used by a lot of hunters that turkeys eat up. IMO if you don't have one in your vest you're missing out on a valuable tool!!