turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Rough weekend

Started by McGoose, April 17, 2011, 09:58:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

McGoose

First Saturday I shoot a jake, which I still don't feel great about. Today I have a gobbler gobbling his head off at every call I make so then I shut up and let him find my hen decoys. He comes out, he is a big gobbler with a good sized beard. Strange thing is he was gobbling his head off while he was in the woods but when he came out in the open he wasn't gobbling and not strutting. The closest he comes is 60 yards and he starts to turn, so I made a stupid decision and shoot. I couldn't tell if I hit him or not but he ran off pretty good. Do you think if I did hit him he would of ran off so well? If I did hit him do you think he will make it? I couldn't find blood or any sign of him and looked for awhile.

WyoHunter

Did you see any feathers fly when you shot? Unless you hurt him bad I doubt you could tell whether he was hit or not. Turkeys are pretty tough and a marginal hit probably wouldn't slow him down. Learn from your mistakes just like the rest of us have.
If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

McGoose

I didn't see any feathers fly and he didn't act like he was wounded. I hope he makes it if I did hit him. That was the farthest shot I have ever taken and my first turkey that I shot at that didn't die. Stupid decision and I lost sleep over it cause nobody wants a turkey to slowly die especially a nice big one like that. I won't ever take a shot outside 35 again. I just don't think there was a tight enough pattern to kill him from that range, and I was shooting normal shotgun sights with #5 lead with a Truglo Gobble Stopper on. I guess I learned important lessons this weekend.

lohaus

My buddy harvested a Tom this weekend with a 10 inch beard, 1 inch spurs that weight only 15 lbs.  I thought it was funny because they are usually 20 plus pounds at that.  I cleaned his bird and mine.  When I got to the right breast there was about a 1/2 inch hole with a bunch of puss, the leg was all infected, and there was green stuff all over the feathers.  I noticed on the right wing that more then a dozen feathers were clipped off.  The whole right side was junk.  Best I can think is that someone nailed him on the right side and he got up and ran off.  It was in a pretty hunted area.

At that distance I think it will be alright.  You probably would have found some feathers if you hit him good.

McGoose

Yeah no feathers. I keep replaying it in my mind and I bet I hit him but I think it was in the body and I just don't think those pellets penetrated his body at that range. I don't know what I was thinking all I had to do was lower my gun and get on the pot call and I bet he would of came closer. Had Sh*t for brains this weekend I guess.

PANYHunter

Hey you live and learn.  I'm guessing that with lead at that distance he was pretty safe.  I know its hard but don't be discouraged.  Keep after em and it will come together.   :anim_25: