OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

#3 gets whipped by a turkey and the STOEGER!

Started by spitndrum, April 17, 2011, 08:39:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spitndrum

Well guys this year I am been blessed and fortunate to have killed 3 birds in 3 sundays in a row, reallly the only time I have been in the woods except for Opening day-I had my gun but was filming a buddy get one with his bow, and my Birthday we spent in Trousdale Co with Renyolds!  So thats a pretty good average for 3 birds...3 trips and 1hr 35min. combined in all 3 sets. This morning I hiked up the mountain and to my listening spot, never heard a gobble.  So I started walking the ridge tops trying to make something happen, which was terrible cause of the cold snap and the fog was terrible, I heard one after flydown gobble but couldnt pin point him so its decision time. Should I decend down the mountain with a chance of that bird never gobblin again or being across the river, and after this rain you couldnt get across that river with anything a boat would be ruff.  I decided to head to the bottom and while heading down I said in my head don't get lazy lets do this if one gobbles on top and your on bottom go get him.  Got to the bottom never heard a gobble.  I decided to go check a field where a freind said they usually strut in it and with the fog I figured they would feel safe in that field, sure enough I get to it and there was birds everywhere. Heard hens yelping something crazy, I thought ok where is the boys at and in the faint distance through the fog I see a strutter.  GAME ON!  I easae down the bank under the field and go to where I thought  the bird was, get there he is farther, back down the bank go another 100 yards 2nd try I see him but he is on the other side of the field full strut with hens....Well its ok I have all the cover I need I'll sit here until the girls leave then I bust his BUTT. As the fog pulled I notice a blind in the middle of the field under a big cedar tree beside a hay ring....GREAT this sux!  O well I'll help this ole boy out and call the bird maybe to me and he can get a shot?  I started calling the hens was battling me and it was exciting, I didnt even have my gun up cause he was 200 yards across the field.  A bird cranks up on the hill side above the field on his side gobbles good several times and some at me, I made a decsion that if he kept gobblin I would just go kill him and go home.  Well the bird already in the field struts in front of the blind and I'm waiting on a shot and nothing, He must not be in the blind?  And when I called again the 2nd bird fired off about 100 yards over the hill in the field right in front of me I could hear him drumming out there but couldnt see him.  Stopped hearing him drumming and didnt hear anymore gobblin? Why? His butt was headed towards the bigger gobbler across the field to fight, kinda reminded me of my younger days ha ha, got over there and the bigger bird I had been watching kicked his butt all over the place back and forth both strutting hard around each other.  So I back out as they ease to the side of the field fixin to walk off and thought I'll get to the other side of the field and might can call one of them back to the point in the field.  Took me about 45 minutes to make the journey slipping along ever so quietly.  As I got close to the point I wanted to sit I see a fan but no head....MAN YOUR LUCKY BRANDON, I plop down fast as a strutter is coming right to me down the field edge.  I'm dead in the water belly up with no gun to my shoulder he blows into strut 50 yards and turns around away from me with his fan blocking his view...red dot on safety off gun up...GAME STILL ON...struts out a little I have him about 35 but that guys blind is in the back ground zipped up-but I still dont want to shoot a mans blind what it he is infact in there???  Walks a few more steps PUTT PUTT BOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMM GAME OVER #3 Dead!  Nobody ever came out of the blind lol, I figured I worked harder for him anyways hate he wasn't the bigger bird but beggers can't be choosers, FULLFAN = Dead in my book!

19.4lbs
8 3/4 inch beard
3/4 inch spurs

Thanks for the read!

paradis1142

Thats fantastic,  congrats man.  Im going to have to get on over there with you nest year so I can have some fun too. :turkey2:

cannonball

harvester

turkey slayer

JVA54

socalturkeyman

A shot not taken,is a shot missed!
Juan Galindo-Last Light Taxidermy

WyoHunter

If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

Wrangler95

Give Thanks Unto The Lord,For He Is Good,His Love Endures Forever!

gatrapper

"Champions don't make excuses, they make plays." - Richard Seymour.

Basser69

Hognutz

May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

spitndrum