OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Jakes that sound like mature gobblers?

Started by Spring_Woods, April 17, 2011, 01:37:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spring_Woods

Was out this morning calling and two jakes come in to about 15 yards. I swore when they gobbled it sounded like daddy long spurs coming in! It was a real deep throaty mature gobble.

Anyone ever had this happen to them?
"Was that a gobble?":gobble:

turkey_slayer

Yep. Its really not unusal.  I've also killed a 2 year old that sounded just like a jake.

stinkpickle

Spring_Woods

Huh, well that's good to know. I've never experienced anything like this before. I'm sooo ready for opening day tomorrow!
"Was that a gobble?":gobble:

TheTwistedOne

I have had this happen before.  Definitely a jake in my face gobbling his fool head off like a mature bird. 

I've also had what initially I thought was a jake because of a damaged short beard turn out to be a mature bird with a full fan and better than 1 inch spurs.

Sometimes a wheezy weak gobble turns out to be from a whopper old bird.

The lesson I've learned is don't make assumptions based on the gobble or beard size.

bowhunter84

Quote from: TheTwistedOne on April 18, 2011, 11:42:28 AM
I have had this happen before.  Definitely a jake in my face gobbling his fool head off like a mature bird. 

I've also had what initially I thought was a jake because of a damaged short beard turn out to be a mature bird with a full fan and better than 1 inch spurs.

Sometimes a wheezy weak gobble turns out to be from a whopper old bird.

The lesson I've learned is don't make assumptions based on the gobble or beard size.
:agreed:   i had a jake last year who could full strut and full gobble. had i not seen his tail feathers i would have been sure it was at least a 2 year old.