turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Reflex Sights versus Red Dot Scopes

Started by GunRunner, February 10, 2018, 09:40:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GunRunner

Hope you guys who have used both types of sights can give me some useful pros and cons on these two types of scopes.

Need to make a decision and get my new auto loader sighted in and ready to go.

Thanking you in advance.

GunRunner

:newmascot:

turkey_picker

I have used a TruGlo reflex sight (can't remember the model, but it is discontinued now) similar to the Burrs FF3 and/or Vortex Viper . I really liked the sight until I started wearing glasses. The fact that I would be looking over my glasses when I tried to get on target, caused focus problems for me. It was a low mounted sight with a small 2 MOA dot. The dot went from being a sharp dot to a starburst after about 3 years. I looked at several different red dots and scopes, before I decided to go with the EOTech A65 sight. First the EOTech mounts higher, which for me I like because I can hold my head up and I don't have the problem looking over my glasses. The sight has a red ring with a red dot in the center, which makes getting on target easy. It is bigger than the FF3 or Viper sights, but for me that is not a problem. It takes AA batteries, but that is also what my flashlight and GPS takes so I always have spare batteries. I had the sight a couple of years now and so far no problems. In fact I liked the first one so much, I have one on my backup turkey gun. I would recommend going to a sporting goods store that handles several different sights and look through them all. Good luck and straight shooting.

howl

One is lighter and smaller. The other is more durable and can have less parallax error. There's plenty of variation among brands and models. The answer to the next question is Aimpoint T2.

batsonbe

I have used a FF3 for two years and just bought a vortex venom for this season. I absolutely love mine. I've never had any problems with dead batteries or consistency. I change my batteries every year and shoot 3.5 2 5/8 oz loads

coyote1

It is really personal preference. I like a reflex for the reasons Howl posted, i will add that you get very fast target acquisition with a reflex.

squidd

I'm trying a reflex site on a Winchester SX2 and a microdot on a Stoeger M3500. 

Couldn't beat the price to at least try them out.  What sold me was a YouTube video where a guy beat the snot out of a microdot and then continued to hit his target, no zero shift.

I carried both an EOTech and an ACOG on an M4 and would typically default to the EOTech. There's absolutely no comparison in the quality and craftsmanship with said sites, but for $25 bucks, I'm giving the Field Sport sites a go as it's only life-n-death for a Turkey.

Duffer58

I've shot several different red dots and reflex sights.  I started out many years ago with a Bushnell Trophy Red Dot.  I had issues with POI changing.  I then pulled a Vortex Strike Fire of one of my rifles and put it on my turkey gun (870 SPS).  In certain light conditions it was difficult to find that single dot and it cost me a bird.  I then went all in an bought an EO Tech 512.  It is a great holographic sight.  I like the 65 MOA ring with the 1 MOA center dot.  It is rugged and holds up to repeated pounding.  It is easy to acquire the dot inside the ring and get on the bird's head.  The downside it is a bit large / bulky.  It is still on my 870 and there it will remain.  When I caught the bug to have 20 ga turkey gun I got a SA-459 and mounted a Vortex Venom reflex red dot on it (a 512 was just too big).  The only reason I picked it over a Burris FF is my local dealer had a Venom in stock and not a Burris.  So far I like the Venom. It has held POI over many rounds patterning, it is light and compact, and so far has performed well in different light conditions.

From my experiences I prefer the reflex red dot over the red dot scopes.  It is more compact, and for me I can pickup the dot better than in the scope.  There are may to choose from but the Burris and Venom seem to be the most popular for turkey hunters. 

If you have questions let me know. 
870 SPS SM 23" Barrel / Indian Creek 0.665 / EO Tech 512 & Weatherby SA-459 / Carlson 0.555 / Vortex Venom

Magdump

Quote from: howl on February 12, 2018, 10:18:03 AM
The answer to the next question is Aimpoint T2.

Ditto to what howl said.  An Aimpoint micro will make you happy.  Running a T2 on my turkey shotgun. 

USMC0331

If you have s vent rib on shotgun a aimpoint s1 is the answer.

Strutr

The advantage to the reflex sight is that even if you don't have a good cheek weld, the shot pattern is going to go wherever that dot is pointing.  This can be very helpful in dealing with those awkward shooting positions that can occur when the bird shows up in an unexpected spot.

Happy

Dot scope myself. I don't like the reflection of light off of on a reflex scope.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

outdoorsmen

I have a camo eotech sitting in the box unused. I like the aimpoint 9000 better. It uses a dial to turn on the brightness of the dot instead of a push button like the eotech.  Also seems less obtrusive on the gun. I dont like the dot and ring of eotech either.

kjnengr

Quote from: Strutr on April 11, 2018, 10:59:56 AM
The advantage to the reflex sight is that even if you don't have a good cheek weld, the shot pattern is going to go wherever that dot is pointing.  This can be very helpful in dealing with those awkward shooting positions that can occur when the bird shows up in an unexpected spot.

This right here.  My head is never where it should be for true shotgun form, but as long as my eyes are in the right plane of sight, I'm good. 

outdoorsmen

Same can be said for red dot tube sights

Yoder409

I just like me a good, quality tube red-dot sight.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.