Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

whats your go to call?

Started by backforty, February 09, 2018, 08:07:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

backforty

W hat type of call do you use the most?  The first call I learned to use was a mouth call so I always seem to go back to it.
Print by Madison, on Flickr

WNCTracker

Quote from: backforty on February 09, 2018, 08:07:31 PM
W hat type of call do you use the most?  The first call I learned to use was a mouth call so I always seem to go back to it.
I learned on a slate with acrylic striker and fooled around with wing bones but couldn't ever get them to sound good enough. I really wanted to get good at using a diaphragm. Simply for the convenience and ability to be hands free. So that's pretty much all I use now. Each year I buy a few new brands to try but I always come back to the hooks executioner 2 and the woodhaven copperhead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BottomLand54

Blasted glass over glass in a Curley maple pot from Jim Shelly with a purple heard one piece flared tipped striker it just seems to work in the mornings, mid day is a preacherman box call.

Tennessee Lead

I'm a pot call guy most of the time

jepcho

I probably run a diaphragm more than anything else, but when it really counts, I tend to reach for a pot call.

Gumby

Trumpet or diaphragm mostly. Always carry at least one pot call

mtns2hunt

I have spent a lot of time learning different calls but I always fall back on a box call and then a mouth call for closer work. When blind calling I like a pot call. Been reading about all the different strikers, pots and woods. I have tried several combos but always fall back on glass. Bought several strikers in different woods but except for the black locust believe I wasted my money.

Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

Hunter1979

Have you tried an Ipe striker?  I really like that one the most, then snakewood.
I do use a mouth call on occasion... Can't think off the top of my head which ones I run though.  I do like to run a lot of different pot calls.  It's an addiction.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

mtns2hunt

Very impressive collection. I may try the Ipe - pretty hard wood if I recall right.
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

ILHUNTER

I use mouth calls most of the time, but have a few pot calls that I use from time to time, really like the sound that the crystal call makes.

wmn2

I use a slate with a cedar striker for quiet calling and then Purple Heart or Osage for getting a little louder. I use a mouth all sometimes, but I run a pot better.