Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Current quality of Lonnie Sneed pot calls?

Started by raven105, February 05, 2018, 09:31:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JonD.

I'd say not much more needs to be said after Snoodsniper's post, but I just wanted to add that I received a Hot Hen and an Outlaw Hen in the mail today, and they both sound absolutely awesome. Pure turkey. Can't wait to hunt with them!
And brought them out, and said, Sirs, what must I do to be saved? And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house. Acts 16:30-31

Snoodsniper

I plan to order a glass call from Lonnie and I'm gonna bring up the issues/concerns that I've read hear.

The way I see it his calls are made to work. I'll take utility over pretty any day...well except for women and guns they gots ta be hawt..

ridgerunner

Lonnie is a great guy, turkey hunter, and call maker. I own his hot hen and Outlaw hen. Both great sounding calls.

Jrkimbrough

Quote from: KYHeadhunter02 on February 12, 2018, 08:48:52 PM
That's a bad business practice.. 45 last year, 55 a few weeks ago and now 60..... Next week 65?

I wouldn't pay his current prices IMO. There's a lot of other great calls around that price and in nicer woods.

Seems like call prices keep getting higher and higher in general.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I'd disagree.  Supply and demand.  Less supply and more demand normally means your pricing your product too low.

I bought a used Outlaw Hen off of OG a year or so ago and I really like the sound of it but I will say the craftsmanship and attention to detail is definitely lacking.  I assume this is a newer one because of it is not signed on the inside of the cover.

According to facebook it seems like his grandson is becoming a big part of the picture again which is disappointing to hear especially with the obvious past issues.

I was seriously thinking about ordering a Hot Hen but have reconsidered especially after seeing a little history about grandson and the terrible quality of the calls some of you guys have posted.

merriamsman

I just got an Outlaw Hen that was signed by Mr. Sneed, and it is a very nice call that sounds great. It will be in my vest this spring. I got a Hot Hen a couple of years ago that was not signed - it is also a nice call. Not sure why some are signed and some are not. I ordered the Outlaw through Mr. Sneed's grandson from their Facebook page. I got the Hot Hen by calling Mr. Sneed directly. The service was great either way.

Bowguy

Quote from: merriamsman on January 30, 2020, 01:44:00 PM
I just got an Outlaw Hen that was signed by Mr. Sneed, and it is a very nice call that sounds great. It will be in my vest this spring. I got a Hot Hen a couple of years ago that was not signed - it is also a nice call. Not sure why some are signed and some are not. I ordered the Outlaw through Mr. Sneed's grandson from their Facebook page. I got the Hot Hen by calling Mr. Sneed directly. The service was great either way.

Post some good pics of the call n striker so we can see if the quality has tightened up. Post a sound file too. Only way we'll know

davisd9

I just trust the man if he says they are better.  Mr. Lonnie always made a hunter's call anyway.  They never were about looks.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

M,Yingling

i got some older calls of his that all look the same as posted i can respect the man for the way he makes a call by the looks their not made with a lathe i would assume  and they are turkey

Call the fellow if your worried about sound and look of a call  hear it see it before u pay pretty simple ,, hell at 82 or so i hope i can get up to go to the bath room ,, besides running around mountains turkey hunting LOL   ,, to me i would say his work is more old time and i like that in his calls

so the guy raised his prices so what ,, some of u all worry about whos list your still on paying for 200 calls  and that maker  wont give you the time of day  ,,
Not taking orders for calls at this time ,,,but my have some on hand  ,,,I Dont sell strikers
I do like copper pot calls,,,,Get them While u can
My YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/user/CallerTurkey

EZ

Quote from: M,Yingling on January 31, 2020, 07:58:34 AM
i got some older calls of his that all look the same as posted i can respect the man for the way he makes a call by the looks their not made with a lathe i would assume  and they are turkey

Call the fellow if your worried about sound and look of a call  hear it see it before u pay pretty simple ,, hell at 82 or so i hope i can get up to go to the bath room ,, besides running around mountains turkey hunting LOL   ,, to me i would say his work is more old time and i like that in his calls

so the guy raised his prices so what ,, some of u all worry about whos list your still on paying for 200 calls  and that maker  wont give you the time of day  ,,

Well said Mike.
I don't know anything about recent quality of Lonnie's calls. I do understand concerns though.

I can tell you this, I will never, ever part with any of my Sneed calls, for many reasons.

This man should be in the Turkey Hunters Hall of Fame. Back when I started getting serious about hunting turkeys (early 80's) Lonnie Sneed Sr. and Lonnie Sneed Jr. were names I knew,(even without the internet), usually because they were the top names in State turkey calling contests. And they were know as the turkey hunter's turkey hunter.

Not sure when I bought my first calls from Lonnie Sr., but it started with a phone call that lasted for well over an hour. The knowledge and passion that man had for turkey hunting was exhilarating and spoken like a true gentleman. I believe we did a trade.

When I got my calls they reminded me of true folk art. I loved the look and I loved the cover, that he said his wife made. When I ran the calls, that told the story....pure turkey. Those calls are a piece of West Virginia legendary Turkey hunter history and I was proud to own them. 

I hope what ever problem folks might be having is rectified. I would absolutely call Lonnie himself and have a talk. He's forgot more about turkey hunting than many of us will ever know.

Bowguy

Quote from: davisd9 on January 31, 2020, 07:04:03 AM
I just trust the man if he says they are better.  Mr. Lonnie always made a hunter's call anyway.  They never were about looks.

Don that would def be a consideration. Add the price that matches much better calls and you'll see the issue. If it's only a standard run of the mill, easily assembled, sloppy built call the price should match that imo.
Again my point as always is I'd be ticked if these were calls showed up at my door. Not knocking anyone else's likes just giving them info to make a good decision so they can decide. If they're happy w it, God bless em and I mean that.
Most good makers guarantee you're satisfied w the calls or they can be exchanged or returned. Not sure the policy on that but if that is there's no question it's a good one

WaltHooksKing

SCGobbler

I have one of each with the covers.

They are always in my vest.  I need to start venturing out, but these always seem to find their way into the woods.

You won't be disappointed with either one of them.

Whoever said call him directly was right.  It will be a conversation you won't forget.  Grab you a glass of tea before you call.  You will be on the phone for a while.
The SC Gobbler

Some men are mere hunters; others are turkey hunters.
                    —Archibald Rutledge

Snoodsniper

I have five or six of Lonnie's calls now and couldn't be happier. Would like to find one in ceramic though. Sold off most of my other stuff.

76chevy

how do you purchase these?

No reply from them