turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Gobbler Bowkill

Started by flintlock, April 16, 2011, 04:38:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flintlock

The thundering gobble brought me to FULL attention!  I could see him, at the edge of a little cut in the field about 200 yards across the way, standing at attention looking in my direction.  I gave him a few more yelps with 4-5 hard cuts and he came unglued!  I think my breathing increased.  :)

Slowly he made is way toward me and I knew it was going to be tough to draw on him not being in a pop-up blind, just tucked into some briars against an ash tree.   I adjusted my feet, checked my knock and peered through the briars again.  He had cut the distance to about 100 yards but was stopped again looking.  I hit him with the slate call that Stubby458 had given me last year and he couldn't help but double-gobble.  I think my breathing increased even MORE! 

The edges of his feathers shined in the morning light as he crested a little rise.  The top of his softball head was white and his cheeks blue as the summer sky.  He was behind a thin screen of briars and I kept my head bowed, to shade my glasses.  He came on around and was in wide open, full view.  He went into half-strut and I couldn't help but smile.  He dropped out of strut and must have seen a grasshopper. He was standing at about 18 yards and when he bent over the other way to snatch that hopper I drew.  I was almost all the way back and he snapped his head up and took a few quick steps.  I came to full draw picked a spot that was TURKEY and relased missing him clean.  I failed to pick a small spot and his nervousness must have given me gobbler fever.  He quickly moved off, but never putted.  I smiled and cussed at the same time.

At midday I shot my bow some and made some slight adjustments, trying to rebuild my confidence.

The next am, I opted to hunt another field and got tucked under the only small cedar in the fence-line.  I pulled out my camo rain jacket and proped it up with a stick on each side, to give me a little concealment.  I heard a bird sound off quite a ways off, but hit him hard with some calling/cuts.  About 5 min later I heard what almost sounded like quail talking to each other and I glaced into the briars to see them, and a big ol gobbler head popped up.  He was about 12 yards from me.  I dared not move as 3 gobblers moved by me and then made a b-line for the jake decoy I had stuck in the green-field about 15 yards to the south.   It was comical watching them go into strut and bump the decoy.  I started to draw but was stopped immediately by the big strutter, who snapped his head up and stared a hole through me as only a gobbler can do.  I shifted my attention to the other 2, as Big Daddy slowly moved off, all the while keeping an every-watching eye on me.  Gobbler #2 soon followed and I decided when #3 looked away I was going for it.  Within seconds #3 looked away and I came to full draw.  I picked a spot on #3, which was about 22 yards and let fly, making a perfect hit.  He went about 10 ft and piled up, then got the  "war dance" by gobbler #2 on him.   I thanked the good Lord for such a morning as this and for my friend that allowed my to enjoy such a wonderful day afield.

Good luck if you are after them.
Wess

If you must smoke, please use BLACKPOWDER!

WyoHunter

Good read! Congrats on the fine bird!
If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

bbcoach

Great Job Wess.  Wonderful Stories and Beautiful Bird!!!

God's Creation is so Beautiful!!!

TRKYHTR

Great story Wess. You've been spending time with Catdaddy. What in the world do you have on your face. You look like Brian Wilson of the Giants with a grey beard. Congrats on a nice gobbler.

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

guesswho

Congrats, and good job with the stick and string :icon_thumright:
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

tnturkeyman28

Big Boys Custom Calls
" I can do all things through him who strengthens me."
Owner of Big Boys Custom Call making Custom Turkey Calls to Order. Mossy Oak Pro Staff The Good lord has Blessed me far more than I deserve. Philippians 4:13

cannonball

njdevilsb

Congrats.  Sounds like a fun hunt.

BowBendr

You look like one of the Soggy Bottom boys.  :z-guntootsmiley:
Awesome read and a fine tom. Congrats.

JVA54

:icon_thumright:  Congrats!!

LX_Trkyhntr

Great read!!  Congrats getting it done with the bow!!
Hook's Custom Call Prostaff, Ol'Tom's Elite Team, Vaportrail Archery Prostaff, KTECH Design Prostaff
[IMG]http://i1013.photobucket.com/albums/af259/OpenSeason1/oltom-logo.png[/i

Wrangler95

Give Thanks Unto The Lord,For He Is Good,His Love Endures Forever!

Ol'Mossy

fallhnt

Congrats on the bow kill
When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

Trip

Congratulations!! Nice bird and a great story!