turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

...Got a nice one on Friday...

Started by NCBigShot, April 16, 2011, 01:03:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NCBigShot

...Played hookie from work on Friday and hit the woods... After about an hour or so of calling sparingly I was beginning to think the morning would be a bust until I had a nice hen walk out in the clover field where I had staked a couple hen decoys. The bird fed in the clover and walked casually around my dekes and gradually wandered off into the wood line on the other side of the field. Two minutes later I was taken off-guard by a loud gobble directly behind me about 35-40 yards into the woods. Had a hard time getting a visual on this bird since he was directly behind me so I just sat and waited to see if he would follow the hen out to the field... Turned out the gobbler wasn't interested in that hen anymore...by 8:20am, I believe he had already bred with that bird... As I heard the tom gobble as he walked away from my set-up I slid my back down against my tree until my shoulders were on the ground and slowly rolled to a prone position and peeked around the base of the tree trunk... Finally saw the bird going in and out of strut, moving between the timber.. Slid a diaphragm call in my mouth and with three poorly made yelps turned the bird around and had him coming back to me... Three minutes later..boom.

...It's a nice one. 22lbs with a 10" primary beard, a 7.5" secondary beard, and 1.25" and 1.125" spurs.
I sent a "thank you" e-mail to the folks at my office for putting up with my disappearing acts during spring gobbler.  :)

When the Dogwood is white, the time is right...

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

drum817

"Freedom Has Never Been Free"

trkycaller

JVA54

turkey slayer

TRKYHTR

Nice gobbler big shot. Congrats,

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

NCBigShot

When the Dogwood is white, the time is right...

bbcoach

Beautiful Bird!!!!!!!!  Congrats!!!!!!!

cannonball

BOFF

WOOHOO!!

Nice bird!!

Boy I hate shooting from the prone position though. 

*ringing in the ears*

"Huh, what did you say?"

Congrats!!

God Bless,
David B.

moonman

Keep your nose in the wind,your eyes on the skyline.

slawman

thats definetly worth callin off work

njdevilsb

Wrangler95

Give Thanks Unto The Lord,For He Is Good,His Love Endures Forever!