turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

i messed up my daughters first hunt

Started by ohiostrutter, April 16, 2011, 11:18:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ohiostrutter

today was my daughters first hunt ever we hunted a farm ive been scouting for weeks we setup the blind this morning in the rain and wind soon after daylight birds gobbled everywhere well long story short i called in a big tom he came within 10 feet of the blind she was on him and pulled the trigger nothing happened pulled it again nothing apparently when i loaded the gun i didnt  have the bolt all the way forward the tom ended up spotting us and walked away he got to twenty yards i was able to push the bolt forward she shot and missed twice i feel so bad because we had that turkey i should have made sure the bolt was all the way in, but it was a awsome morning she got to see and hear alot of birds that tom she missed put on a show strutting and gobbling i think she is hooked hopefully tommorrow will bring us better luck

Trevor2

Take her back and put her on one of the other birds tommorrow, good luck hope she gets her a big un
Strutstopper

frank1969

what part of the state u in 6 kids and 6 adults rain wind prime privet land in  3 diferent countys and one gobbel

Trip

longspur

how old is she? teach her to load it :lol: stuff happens. she'll get one

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

ohiostrutter

we were in central ohio about 1 hr north of columbus, she is 9 and knows how to load it i borrowed the gun from a co worker and have never had that problem

guesswho

She needs to learn all the lessons, I'm glad she's got that one out of the way now.  Now go load her gun, and call in another one.  Good luck!
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

cannonball

BOFF

It happens to us all, even when we know better.

I must confess I had a BIG older gobblers in at 15 steps, on this Thursday evening. Pulled the trigger only to have the gun slightly move to the right. I didn't check to see if the Benelli M2 bolt was pushed all the way forward. I know this, but didn't check.  *slaps head*

Turkey got nervous and walked directly away with trees between me and him.  Only good thing is the reminder to check, and I'm not limited out now for more hunting.

Sometimes though, it's the ones we don't get, that we remember the most!!

God Bless,
David B.

Ol'Mossy

Sherrell

I feel your pain as I limited out early this Spring and started using the camera.lo and behold I messed up my Son one morning cutting across a pasture early while he had a big gobbler drumming twenty yards behind him as two hens walked out and me not knowing,but I can attest it will work out and good luck.

mossy835

All the more reason to go back and try again she will enjoy the second and third chance. Good luck to her.

Hognutz

There will be more chances. I hate when that happens.. :you_rock:
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.