turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Bayard WMA in North Florida

Started by St. Augustine Strutter, January 25, 2018, 10:20:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

St. Augustine Strutter

I was awarded a turkey permit for Bayard WMA. Just wondering if anybody is familiar with the property and any other general knowledge they would be able to share. I have done some scouting thus far to familiarize myself with the property but haven't seen much sign yet.

I feel like I am going to need to get in the swamp. Is there dry ground in there and does it open up nicely? Or will I regret getting back in there and be surround by water and muck?

Thanks fellas

joey46

I was going to suggest you ask this question on Floridasportsman.com but I see you already did that.  That forum is undergoing major changes this week so be patient.  You will probably get an answer from someone eventually.  If you drew the youth hunt or first of the three quotas you may stand a decent chance. Good luck.
I do see that WMA allows the taking of hens during archery season so they must feel the population is decent.  Didn't see any harvest stats.  New WMA or no check stations?

ddturkeyhunter

Just go on Google Earth, I'm from MN and I am walking the roads and trail down in florida all the time on google earth getting use to where I am. and seeing them Islands that I can check out later.

St. Augustine Strutter

I did get the first hunt weekend so I am hoping I can make it happen. No check stations I know of at this time. I dont think it is a great WMA but I do want to give it my best shot and maybe get lucky.

St. Augustine Strutter

Quote from: ddturkeyhunter on January 26, 2018, 09:10:21 AM
Just go on Google Earth, I'm from MN and I am walking the roads and trail down in florida all the time on google earth getting use to where I am. and seeing them Islands that I can check out later.

I love google earth but you can only get so much information from it. Investigating this swamp area is going to take some boots on the ground and I am trying to gain some preliminary knowledge from anybody who may be familiar with it.   I do appreciate the suggestion.

outdoors

Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

FLGobstopper

So how far away do you live from there? I'm guessing by your username you live in Sanderson, so you're not that far.

If that's the case you should be able to spend 1 or 2 days scouting there and you be pretty covered. It's not a very big area and from my experience birds are bot widely dispersed, so if you find an area holding birds stick with em.

St. Augustine Strutter

Quote from: FLGobstopper on January 26, 2018, 06:29:02 PM
So how far away do you live from there? I'm guessing by your username you live in Sanderson, so you're not that far.

If that's the case you should be able to spend 1 or 2 days scouting there and you be pretty covered. It's not a very big area and from my experience birds are bot widely dispersed, so if you find an area holding birds stick with em. Pretty

Thanks for the reply. I am actually right across the river in St. John's county. Sanderson is where my private club is. I can be at Bayard WMA in about 20 minutes so I will have plenty of time to scout. I was just trying to gather some more information about the huge swamp in the middle and it sounds like you might be familiar. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Definitely willing to put in some scouting time but that swamp looks impenetrable in some areas.

Thanks for the input.