OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Forcing Cone Lengthening

Started by 243kid, January 17, 2018, 12:00:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bowguy

Quote from: chow hound on January 22, 2018, 01:12:29 PM
I don't want to argue about this, but that doesn't mean anything.  This just sounds like an old wives tale that is widely accepted because it has been repeated so many times and has no science behind it.  If anything, having a shorter forcing cone would have the impact of asserting force on the gun as the shot compresses together, which would be in the direction of pulling the gun away from your shoulder and lowering recoil.  The only other way a longer forcing cone would lower recoil is if it lowers velocity.  I may be missing something and would welcome someone to explain the science.
When I had my guns done the negative was reduced velocity because of less back pressure I was told. Never tested that though so it may or may not be a fact

taylorjones20

I've had it done on my SBE2 and M2 20ga.  There's normally about a 10-12% increase in pattern from what I've seen.  It does make a difference.  Enough that I'd have it done again without question...
Alive only by the Grace Of God

turkeyinstrut

Like SumToy said, if you are shooting lead it may improve your pattern but in my experiences very little. I think if you are shooting TSS it doesn't improve patterns enough (if any) to justify the cost. JMHO

If you get on Nitro's website they tell you to NOT lengthen the forcing cone and they have been doing this for years.

tnanh

Lengthening forcing cone doesn't cost very much. I have had two done by Sumtoy and best I remember they were only 35 dollars apiece. I had an 870 youth done and did not help pattern much but I shoot Hevi 13 in it. Recoil was reduced. It doesn't throw the slide open any more. I had a sears 12 gauge single shot done that I couldn't hardly shoot because it kicked so bad. I am a sissy when it comes to recoil. It is shootable for me now and puts 120-140 in a 10 inch circle shooting Turkey thug 6s with a Sumtoy 665 choke. Before I had the forcing cone done I tried to give it to my son and he shot it twice and gave it back. It is the only gun I hunted with last year.

Gooserbat

I'm with William.  It lowers felt recoil.  The reason it a smoother or slower transition from the chamber diameter to that of the bore.  I've had it done on a couple of my guns.  Yes they kick less and pattern better with lead but for  for hevi13 or tss I wouldn't do it.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

ilbucksndux

I had a 870 done for duck hunting and the difference in the pattern was between daylight and dark.
Gary Bartlow

yelpy

I wouldn't waist my money again. I had 2 guns done and there was no difference in the patterns. They were patterning fine before the work was done but I figured it couldn't hurt to try getting the patterns a little better.

Now if you have a gun with a problem getting it to pattern well, it might be worth a try.

Sent from my SM-J727VPP using Tapatalk