OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

iPhone and GPS apps

Started by FullChoke, January 13, 2018, 09:33:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FullChoke

I have an iPhone6 and would like to get a good mapping app on it for hunting. I know that the technology changes by the day so I need to find out what is the best that's available today.

Cheers  ;D

FullChoke

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Double B

My favorite mapping and hunting app is Huntstand.  It has good mapping w several options, including topo and satelite.  Includes Solunar, weather, etc.   You can set up different hunt areas and drop pins for various reasons and locations.   Very useful app for me.  I  go to the app store and search free apps to try a few from time to time, remove if I don't like them.  OnXmaps is a popular one and also worth trying.   
Followed by buzzards

MK M GOBL

Quote from: Double B on January 13, 2018, 09:58:37 AM
My favorite mapping and hunting app is Huntstand.  It has good mapping w several options, including topo and satelite.  Includes Solunar, weather, etc.   You can set up different hunt areas and drop pins for various reasons and locations.   Very useful app for me.  I  go to the app store and search free apps to try a few from time to time, remove if I don't like them.  OnXmaps is a popular one and also worth trying.   

X2 Huntstand

MK M GOBL

Strutr

X3 Huntstand.  Only exception is that I like Scoutlook's weather feature better than Huntstand's, so I use both apps.

FullChoke

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Ericbrooks

I've got HuntStand and Scoutlook

OnX maps is much better than both of them put together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MK M GOBL

Quote from: Ericbrooks on January 16, 2018, 11:47:09 AM
I've got HuntStand and Scoutlook

OnX maps is much better than both of them put together.

Is OnX free? or you pay yearly

MK M GOBL

Ericbrooks

Yearly. I think its 29.99

wvmntnhick

Quote from: Ericbrooks on January 16, 2018, 06:52:05 PM
Yearly. I think its 29.99

I understand it's gps so it'll run on satellite vs cell signal but how often does it lose communication? Going to CO next fall and need something reliable.

Oldillini

Used OnX in CO last year on a Garmin and hunting partner had the iPhone app. Neither one of us had any problems. We were pretty deep, 4+ hours by horse. The phone app is great. I picked it up after coming back home. Used it for whitetails this past fall since I hunt public land. Great to know when you are bumping someone's private land.

It is fantastic for property boundaries, be it public or private. Topo maps invaluable for out west. Trails are readily identified. Features for recording your routes and waypoints very helpful for this flatlander when in the high country.

The phone app clarity is much better than the Garmin, but you have totally different screens. The phone does use more power and will need recharged on multi day hunt. My Garmin went 6 days on one set of batteries.

Smooth_Operator

Used OnX on my IPhone for an Elk hunt in the Bob Marshall Wilderness of Montana this past September. If anyone here has ever been to The Bob, you understand how remote it is out there, we were 20 miles in from the nearest trailhead. Saved a couple offline maps before the hunt, and pulled them up when hunting. My GPS coordinates were spot on with every trail and marker I encountered. Very impressed with it, my favorite thus far...

"The woods are lovely, dark and deep,  
But I have promises to keep,  
And miles to go before I sleep,  
And miles to go before I sleep."

wvmntnhick

Crazy question but will it still work if ur phone is in airplane mode? I'd think battery life would b an issue.

Ericbrooks

You down load off line versions of the map and it works great.

The main farm I hunt has zero cell service and I use it there

Smooth_Operator

Quote from: wvmntnhick on January 17, 2018, 08:02:38 AM
Crazy question but will it still work if ur phone is in airplane mode? I'd think battery life would b an issue.

Yes, as long as you have downloaded an offline map. Your GPS position is shown on the saved map and still has all the features of regular use with the online maps.

"The woods are lovely, dark and deep,  
But I have promises to keep,  
And miles to go before I sleep,  
And miles to go before I sleep."

wvmntnhick

Quote from: Smooth_Operator on January 17, 2018, 08:05:03 AM
Quote from: wvmntnhick on January 17, 2018, 08:02:38 AM

Yes, as long as you have downloaded an offline map. Your GPS position is shown on the saved map and still has all the features of regular use with the online maps.

I may need to contact u later on this one. I'm not very tech savvy on these things.