turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Help Me Choose a New Rifle Scope

Started by WNCTracker, January 10, 2018, 07:45:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tail Feathers

For me, the scope is about accuracy, durability and light transmission.
I glass the deer with binoculars to make the decision whether to shoot or not.
After that, the scope is to put the bullet where it needs to be every time, assuming me and the gun do our part.
Being able to see the crosshairs on target at last shooting light is critical.

My deer rifle had Leupold on it.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

owlhoot

Not bad warranty.
Had a bushnell 2500 replaced after fogged up 15 years old they sent a new one for no charges.
Was not deliberately damaged

southern_leo

OP to be honest you need to decide what's important to you price, warranty, name whatever. Everyone has opinions but all the scopes you listed are quality scopes I don't see you being upset with any of them.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

kyturkeyhunter4

I love my vortex I've had the nikons but I switch to vortex and I love it

Bowhunter123224

BottomLand54

What you need to do is go somewhere where you can put all the scopes on the same power and look out of them. Everybody's eyes are different and I never knew the difference in scopes until I did this. I went to bass pro shop in concord NC and they have an aquarium that is 100 yards from the scope display case. I had a salesman behind the counter lay all the scopes out I was interested in and put them all on same power and look out of them at a stuffed beaver on a log above the aquarium.

Everyone's eyes are different I even looked through scopes that were high dollar such as Zeiss, Swarovski, etc. I found out leupold glass to me is clearer but that is me. Vortex was clear but not as clear with my eyes. Zeiss was next. And the very high end Swarovski was very good but too much money for me.

I challenge you to go somewhere they have all the scopes and look through them and see why fits your eyes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WNCTracker

Quote from: BottomLand54 on January 22, 2018, 08:30:23 PM
What you need to do is go somewhere where you can put all the scopes on the same power and look out of them. Everybody's eyes are different and I never knew the difference in scopes until I did this. I went to bass pro shop in concord NC and they have an aquarium that is 100 yards from the scope display case. I had a salesman behind the counter lay all the scopes out I was interested in and put them all on same power and look out of them at a stuffed beaver on a log above the aquarium.

Everyone's eyes are different I even looked through scopes that were high dollar such as Zeiss, Swarovski, etc. I found out leupold glass to me is clearer but that is me. Vortex was clear but not as clear with my eyes. Zeiss was next. And the very high end Swarovski was very good but too much money for me.

I challenge you to go somewhere they have all the scopes and look through them and see why fits your eyes.

Since the original post I've been out of town a lot and as a bonus I have been able to get to a lot of stores to do this at cabelas, BPS, F&S, sportsmans warehouse, academy, and some locals. I did side by sides in the stores, 300 yards down roads at mid day, dusk, and  in overcast rain. I looked through so many but to look at ones in comparable $$ $400-$800 ish scopes: 
leupold Vx3i, Vortex viper Hd, Bushnell elite, meopta meopro, Trijicon accupoint, Burris  veracity, ziess conquest , and Nikon monarch.

I'm not into bashing brands so for MY EYES in full daylight all were pretty sharp with the edge to zeiss and trijicon. The rest were pretty comparable but I'd say vortex, meopta, leupold, and Nikon were tied and my eyes couldn't really say which was really that much better. I'll say vortex really surprised me though. With bushnell next and last to Burris.

At low light which is what I was most concerned with not considering illuminated reticle, just ability to distinguish a shooter or not.
Zeiss was the clearest but very very very closely followed by meopta meopro. Then trijicon. Then vortex and leupold and Nikon. Then Burris and bushnell.

I chose the meopta. Right now the German reticle is on sale for $400 on sport optics and for being so comparable to ziess I felt like it was a steal.

BottomLand54

Amen there you go. That's wise, we all have our preferences and opinions and we all are different. It would be a boring world and only 1 scope manufacture if we all liked the same thing.

BottomLand54

I will say imho Talley's light weight mounts with rings is the best

WNCTracker

Quote from: BottomLand54 on January 22, 2018, 09:07:21 PM
I will say imho Talley's light weight mounts with rings is the best

Already ordered :-)

BottomLand54

Wise man!