OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Blended Shell

Started by Greg Massey, January 22, 2018, 11:00:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg Massey

Apex is always a step ahead. They have a new blended load coming out called SMALLTOWN  12 gauge 3 inch 2 1/4 oz. 7 1/2 and 9 shot..... 20 gauge 3 inch 1 5/8 oz. 7 1/2 and 9 shot,,, these guys are changing the game in shells   ... TSS.....

dirt road ninja

A waste of valuable space. Every time I've done that it's been a disappointment.

davisd9

Isn't Nitro loading this now?  I agree with not being a fan of the the blended load.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

ccleroy

I agree, no sense in the blend. I've done it before and the results were ok but I always went back to straight loads.

dirt road ninja

If I was to blend again it would be a 50/50 # 9's and # 10's and would be used in a lighter recoil load for youth hunters.

Greg Massey

Will guys check them out they have patterns ,that show great results ... just as good as the regular loads ...now don't get mad at me , that's what APEX is saying....

Gobble!

The 7.5s are for states that don't allow straight 9s. Nitro is doing the same thing. There's no way a blend of 7.5s and 9s will pattern the same as straight 9s. They will pattern well enough, better than any other commercial shell out there that isn't shooting TSS, to kill birds all day but for us into counting holes the 9s are the way to go.   

Greg Massey

Quote from: Gobble! on January 22, 2018, 04:08:27 PM
The 7.5s are for states that don't allow straight 9s. Nitro is doing the same thing. There's no way a blend of 7.5s and 9s will pattern the same as straight 9s. They will pattern well enough, better than any other commercial shell out there that isn't shooting TSS, to kill birds all day but for us into counting holes the 9s are the way to go.
What's the reason for shooting Tss for counting holes or using a blended shell for better knock down power?  If these blended shells have a complete circle up to 40 yards ... why wouldn't the blended penetrate better?  I guess i'm having a hard time understand, what's the purpose of all 9's just for having a bigger circle over one that is blended...now i agree with those old type blended shells never like them myself...

Gobble!

Quote from: Greg Massey on January 22, 2018, 04:21:29 PM
What's the reason for shooting Tss for counting holes or using a blended shell for better knock down power?  If these blended shells have a complete circle up to 40 yards ... why wouldn't the blended penetrate better?  I guess i'm having a hard time understand, what's the purpose of all 9's just for having a bigger circle over one that is blended...now i agree with those old type blended shells never like them myself...

My reason for shooting TSS is I can pack a shell full of tiny #9s and have MORE than enough knock down power to kill turkeys all day at 40 yards and have wiggle room for errors. A #7.5 will penetrate better than a #9 100%, but that #7.5 is a waste of space because that #9 has all the power I need at the distances I choose to shoot. I would rather have the additional small pellets heading down range than the lesser larger pellets because again I know those smaller pellets pack all the punch I need. 

dirt road ninja

Greg,

I'm sorry I started this with a negative opinion on blended shells. You we're just letting us know of a service the board might be interested in.

Greg Massey

Quote from: Gobble! on January 22, 2018, 04:46:04 PM
Quote from: Greg Massey on January 22, 2018, 04:21:29 PM

My reason for shooting TSS is I can pack a shell full of tiny #9s and have MORE than enough knock down power to kill turkeys all day at 40 yards and have wiggle room for errors. A #7.5 will penetrate better than a #9 100%, but that #7.5 is a waste of space because that #9 has all the power I need at the distances I choose to shoot. I would rather have the additional small pellets heading down range than the lesser larger pellets because again I know those smaller pellets pack all the punch I need.
OKAY, from i what i understand the 9's have the same amount of energy as the lead copper 5 shot , so i'm guessing the 7.5 are like shooting 2 or something in lead...  thanks for the information ....if anyone else has opinion , please respond on what you thing ...

BottomLand54

Buy me a box and I will try em out. I'd even try shooting popcorn kernels if anyone wants to load some up for me to try.

I just spent too much money with apex but I would love to try a box I am saving some money for federals tss. I don't believe we will see any on the shelves till after Nashville. I may be wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk