OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Craziness!

Started by 2eagles, November 25, 2017, 01:25:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

2eagles

I posted earlier I'd been watching a group of 8-10 toms while bow hunting for deer. Last night, they were feeding peacefully near enough to get me excited, maybe gonna get a shot. About 50 yards from me, they tightened up the group and started scurrying away, doing some putts and clucks. Then the circus began! Another group of maybe 25 toms, came in on a dead run chasing the birds I'd been watching. They were all making upset turkey noises that was very loud. It was a show I'll never forget.
This morning I still saw lots of birds, but didn't seem to be as many as last night. I've only got to next Friday to get one of those guys and I'm going to try.

gergg

I had something similar happen to me in Florida while bow hunting.....probably 25 years ago, a group of 35+ toms waked under my stand, they were "fighting purring" like crazy, very loud, it was an insane sight as I have never seen more than 5-6 gobblers together on this piece of property.
https://www.gwaltneygamecalls.com/

Greg Gwaltney Game Calls
2022 NWTF Grand Nationals - 5th Place Air Operated Call (Trumpet)
2021 NWTF Grand Nationals - 2nd Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet)
2021 NWTF Grand Nationals - 5th Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet Call)
2019 NWTF Grand Nationals - 3rd Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet Call)
2019 NWTF S.E. Call Makers Contest - 4th Place Trumpet Calls

Tail Feathers

Gang fight!
I bet that was fun to see and hear.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

mgm1955

Great experience! Good luck!

Bossman

Once I was hunting above a road and cabin.  There was a flock of turkey fighting down below.  It took me a while to figure out what that sound was, I thought it was a chipper or some old machine running! LOL!

2eagles

I never did get one of those turkeys. The last day I could hunt before my surgery, I parked to unlock the gate and in the heavily wooded ditch behind me, there stood a bunch of toms. No way to grab my bow so I just watched them move away, laughing inside that the turkeys won the war this year. But, I hadn't been in my treestand long when a nice doe showed up. I was able to fill an antlerless tag the last day I could hunt. I felt blessed to fill three deer tags this year in spite of needing neck surgery. We'll be well fed and happy this whole year! 
And the good news is my son hunted my favorite turkey public ground food plot. He took video of all the toms coming in for dinner. Gives me lots to look forward to. Doesn't look like my doctor will approve shotgun shooting by turkey season though, so I'll probably be using my crossbow.