turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Call Identification help...

Started by Steve, December 12, 2017, 05:59:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve

I had a gentleman send me a picture of this call. He's trying to find the maker and value of it. That is all I know about it. I have never seen one like this. It does appear to be very well made out of cherry. He did tell me that the peg comes out (unscrewed obviously) and it goes in the hole and make turkey sounds. I don't know if there is slate inside there or not. So has anybody else seen one of these  that can help with origin and value? It does look to be home made. He told me he picked it up at the Good Will store. Now why do they never have anything like that when I get drug in there?!?

mwr

Rapscallion Vermilion

Quote from: mwr on December 12, 2017, 07:38:11 PM
Looks like a nutcracker.......
Agree.  No turkey call would make it that much work to get the peg out.  Do a Google image search on screw type nutcracker.

Steve

Oh man...now that's funny. Ya know I was trying to grasp how this thing could possibly make any decent turkey sounds with a peg like that. And it doesn't appear to have any slate inside it. A nutcracker makes perfect sense. I think somebody is going to be a little disappointed. Thanks for the help on this.

Steve

southern_leo

I agree it's a nutcracker. The wood threading probably rubs and makes a yelp like sound (saying that with a grain of salt giving the owner the benefit of the doubt) but compared to a real turkey or real turkey call I'd bet there's a huge difference. The owner probably heard the squeaking and thought it was supposed to be a call. I'll bet it's just friction in the threading. Either way old handmade nutcrackers are neat still.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

HookedonHooks

That's certainly an interesting looking call if it is one, but I would definitely lean towards it being a nutcracker.

I too have a question about a call that I can't identify. I'll get pictures up in a bit, but it looks like a tube call with a turkey baster on one end, and a little clicker on the other. It's called a "Turkey Talker" from Richmond, MO. But there's nothing online about it, nor have I seen anything like it. Pics will be added soon.

greencop01

There was a company that made a songbird call it was a metal screw in a piece of hardwood and when you turned the screw it would squeak and make chirps. Pete Pulley makes one a cylinder in a cylinder. Just a thought.....
We wait all year,why not enjoy the longbeard coming in hunting for a hen, let 'em' in close !!!

Steve

Looks like Leo has the guy pegged. I called him to let him know what he had. Needless to say he was a bit disappointed, but still swore it made turkey sounds. He put it up by the phone and turned the screw...it is indeed the friction from the threads that makes a bit of a turkey sound. Not a very good turkey sound, but it could be a turkey sound. He accepted the nutcracker finding, and after looking at some online I have to go with nutcracker as well. No doubt in my mind now.

Thanks again everybody,
Steve