turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Remington 870 vs Mossberg 835

Started by Bigeclipse, January 02, 2018, 03:16:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gobbler74

Best 870 turkey gun ever made was the spst in obsession. Rem had to go jack that up.. cough cough.. bankruptcy
"Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail"

gobbler74

Quote from: dirt road ninja on January 02, 2018, 03:43:29 PM
I'd go Mossy. They are already drilled and tapped and a few bucks cheaper. The money save on the gun could be put toward ammo. The ammo makes the gun not the other way around. My cheap 935 with good ammo will embarrass guns costing 3x as much.
Some 870 models are drilled and tapped as well. The older spst came that way. Not sure what they're doing these days. Here is an express version with 26" barrel with tapped receiver. Always liked that model. They pattern good.
https://www.gunsamerica.com/995690443/81125-Remington-870-Express-Super-Mag-Turkey-Waterfowl-12-gauge.htm
"Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail"

owlhoot

870's for years and years. Working great.
Couldn't wait to sell 835 and 935's. Too heavy and clunky feeling.

TJK68

You can't go wrong with either, just depends on which one feels better. I like my 870's....

BINK McCARTY

Best point is the one Big Jeremy made about felt recoil....the mossy will knock a cross eyed person straight!!!! Both are gonna have significant recoil but you can tame that down with a good recoil pad,Supercell for the Remington,and a Limbsaver for the Mossy ,although my pop-n-law got a supercell to fit on his Mossy. Anyways, gobbler74 made a terrific point about the older SPS-T (the older one i'm speakin' of had MOBU camo) it came out new in 1999,had a 23" bbl.,shot 3.5",came with twin beads, and was supplied with turkey extra full & turkey super full choke tubes,and as I already pointed out was camo'd in a waaaaay cool pattern. Now,it may take some digging' ,but ifn' you cold find one of those.....THAT would be a perfect go-to gun!!!! Came out new in 1999,2000,&2001 the order/sku #4968,then in 2002-05 order/sku # 24968 (same gun,different sku #) 2006-2009  is where they changed the camo from MOBU to Obsession and gave it order/sku #25007....same gun,different camo. Now for 2006-08 the same gun could be had again in MOBU but instead of callin' it SPS-T,they called it 870 express super mag camo order/sku #25131. Hope I didn't confuse ya too bad!!!! Like someone posted before me,the QC @ Remington has gone downhill dramatically,this is why i'm referencing all these older guns. If you wanna go on a search and try and find one of these babies I've found the easiest way to do it is type in Remington 870 SPS-T supermag camo then put the order/sku # in and then type gun.deals and search it that way,and you may very well find one your lookin' for. That gun.deals can be used to find just about any gun,ammo,scope,or huntin' related.Hope this helps,ifn' you need a hand with anything else,don't hesitate,thats what we are here for is to help one another!!!!!

Turkeytider

Bought a pre-owned 870 Super Mag SPS-T Thumbhole vintage `05-`07. I don`t know how it compares to the newer models, but that`s one solid turkey gun. It`s like a block of steel forged into a gun. 23" barrel, sling and a red dot.