turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Savage turkey model

Started by strut_stopper, May 17, 2018, 03:17:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

strut_stopper

Has anyone here ever shot or handled one of these? I just now heard of them this year and wondered how they actually preformed?

Rapscallion Vermilion

I have one on order, should be getting the call any day now. 
Clark Bush (allaboutshooting) has one and speaks highly of it.

HookedonHooks

If it's anything like their muzzleloader or slug guns on a bolt action platform, they will be top of line.

Not sure how I feel about the bolt platform for turkey hunting though, I think I'd rather run a single shot before a bolt even. 

Rapscallion Vermilion

Yeah, it's the 220 slug gun but ordered with a smooth bore.

davisd9

It looks like you have to use an optic as there is no bead or rib, is that correct?
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Rapscallion Vermilion

Yes, that's correct.  It is factory drilled and tapped.

strut_stopper

Right, Id be a little iffy about toting a bolt gun out there turkey hunting. Not because it won't preform, id just feel weird I think haha. That said, I think it still has all the fixings to be a solid setup.

Let us know how yours works and how it shoots!!

DeltaRunner

Does it use the same chokes as the Stevens shotguns?  It doesn't say on Savage's website.

allaboutshooting

Quote from: DeltaRunner on May 19, 2018, 09:52:05 PM
Does it use the same chokes as the Stevens shotguns?  It doesn't say on Savage's website.

It uses Win-Chokes, so you have many choices. They are really great guns, balance well in the hand and are available with several barrel lengths. The bores are excellent, as good as any I've seen in a production shotgun.
You can mount a scope or some type of "dot" sight. The Savage trigger is also great. Savage has made a name for themselves by making high quality guns for very reasonable prices, like the 110 series of rifles and this gun is in the same mold.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

strut_stopper

Quote from: allaboutshooting on May 19, 2018, 10:25:20 PM

It uses Win-Chokes, so you have many choices. They are really great guns, balance well in the hand and are available with several barrel lengths. The bores are excellent, as good as any I've seen in a production shotgun.
You can mount a scope or some type of "dot" sight. The Savage trigger is also great. Savage has made a name for themselves by making high quality guns for very reasonable prices, like the 110 series of rifles and this gun is in the same mold.

Thanks,
Clark

Thanks Clark, do you have any pattern pics? Do they have  3 1/2 chamber or just 3? So far I've only seen info about 3 inch chambers.

Rapscallion Vermilion

The 12 gauge slug gun is chambered for 3", so I would expect the same for the turkey model.

allaboutshooting

Quote from: strut_stopper on May 20, 2018, 07:35:56 PM
Quote from: allaboutshooting on May 19, 2018, 10:25:20 PM

Thanks,
Clark

Thanks Clark, do you have any pattern pics? Do they have  3 1/2 chamber or just 3? So far I've only seen info about 3 inch chambers.

I currently have a 20 gauge, fully factory built. I had a 12 gauge, 3" chamber, that I used for years and for part of my work on "Harmonics in Shotgun Barrels" https://allaboutshooting.com/blogs/blog/98758599-harmonics-in-shotgun-barrels
Doris also has a 20 gauge custom gun that began its life as a stock Savage bolt action.
All those guns have 3" chambers. Good strong, smooth actions on all of them.
Thanks,
Clark

strut_stopper

Wow that's a really good read! I would assume you put the x ring on a non ported choke?

allaboutshooting