OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Replacement Pot

Started by mightyjoeyoung, March 04, 2018, 08:25:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mightyjoeyoung

I have a hooks aluminum pot I won a few years back in a turkey contest.  It sounded like crap honestly from the get, but then it got dropped and the pot cracked.   No idea what type of wood it is.  Any ideas on what type of woOD would make a good replacement,  what type of glue should I use, and where can I buy it all?  Lol.
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

southern_leo

Post a pic. Maybe we can ID the wood

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

mightyjoeyoung

Quote from: southern_leo on March 04, 2018, 02:46:01 PM
Post a pic. Maybe we can ID the wood

The wood that it's made of now isn't important to me.  It's going to get replaced.  The surace is aluminum so I'm asking for best choices and where to purchase....

southern_leo

The wood won't make as much of a difference as the dimensions do inside but it can make some difference. As far as where to get blanks it's a long list and depends on what kind of wood your using (domestic, exotic etc). Me personally I think cherry is one of the best all around woods and black walnut. Both are easily found and sound great. If you go for exotics cocobola is makes a good pot. If your only goal is to duplicate this pot then check out eBay for 4x4x1 blanks. If you don't have experience making calls it maybe better to have a call maker reproduce it for you. If you want to do it yourself make sure you have digital calipers to reproduce your dimensions. Every measurement counts, ledge with, wall thickness, depth from playing surface to the floor, pedestal height, pedestal inner and outer diameter, sound holes etc.

southern_leo

Also Hooks might repair or replace for you if you contact them

M,Yingling

Not taking orders for calls at this time ,,,but my have some on hand  ,,,I Dont sell strikers
I do like copper pot calls,,,,Get them While u can
My YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/user/CallerTurkey

mightyjoeyoung

Thanks fellas.  I was leaning towards cherry.  I like how hard, dense and durable it is.