OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

How many are switching to TSS ?

Started by Gamblinman, December 29, 2017, 03:24:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wvmntnhick

Quote from: buzzardroost on January 16, 2018, 08:17:45 PM
Do you experience any more wasted meat with TSS than other HTL or lead? Thinking they would penetrate breast easier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nope! I've shot a couple with it with zero I'll effect. Bang away. They pass right on thru like a hot knife thru butter.

vt35mag

I would switch to TSS with a 20ga but not the 12ga.  Few hundred rounds of 12ga turkey loads is going to last me a loooong time.

tha bugman

I am currently on the fence, but I probably will.

mwr

old3toe

Not me. I still can't believe they dropped the 20ga #7 heavy weight loads. They produced killer patterns with more penetration at far longer ranges than anyone needs for turkeys, farther than in my opinion should be shot at any game. To me pattern density is pattern density regardless of the size of shot. We had that with the 7's and they were bone crushers! I can't see it being a good move for federal going to tss. If they wanted to really help out us hunters, keep the sales and profits up, and bring something new to the table in terms of smaller shot they would keep the heavyweight line of 7 shot and add to that line. Such as heavy weight #8 shot and #9 shot at the same price point with less money and research involved. Which would no doubt be more than effective pattern wise and energy wise. Just can't wrap my head around why they did it.lol Of course I know its for the money such as everything else these days but at over twice the price per box of their highly sought after and loved 20 ga #7 loads? In a way it seems like they're holding their loyal customers over a barrel by doing things this way.

Gooserbat

Quote from: old3toe on January 18, 2018, 03:13:44 PM
Not me. I still can't believe they dropped the 20ga #7 heavy weight loads. They produced killer patterns with more penetration at far longer ranges than anyone needs for turkeys, farther than in my opinion should be shot at any game. To me pattern density is pattern density regardless of the size of shot. We had that with the 7's and they were bone crushers! I can't see it being a good move for federal going to tss. If they wanted to really help out us hunters, keep the sales and profits up, and bring something new to the table in terms of smaller shot they would keep the heavyweight line of 7 shot and add to that line. Such as heavy weight #8 shot and #9 shot at the same price point with less money and research involved. Which would no doubt be more than effective pattern wise and energy wise. Just can't wrap my head around why they did it.lol Of course I know its for the money such as everything else these days but at over twice the price per box of their highly sought after and loved 20 ga #7 loads? In a way it seems like they're holding their loyal customers over a barrel by doing things this way.

I'm pretty sure you don't understand what tss can do.  I'd post pics and tell you what the actual yardage was but I'd be shamed, slammed and some do-gooder would want me kicked off the forum.  Long story short is patern density.  #7 will not equal that of #9. Coupled with the heavier weight of tss.  It simply outperforms HW#7 and I'm not dissing the HW it's a very good load.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

BottomLand54

I think we should just all shoot

davisd9

Quote from: old3toe on January 18, 2018, 03:13:44 PMIf they wanted to really help out us hunters, keep the sales and profits up, and bring something new to the table in terms of smaller shot they would keep the heavyweight line of 7 shot and add to that line. Such as heavy weight #8 shot and #9 shot at the same price point with less money and research involved. Which would no doubt be more than effective pattern wise and energy wise.

HWs 7,8, or 9s are 15 g/cc will TSS of the same size is 18-19 g/cc.  While not a huge difference, the TSS will always carry more energy because of its density.  They have not really changed a lot to their shells other than improving the FCW.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

fallhnt

No need for me to use tss in 12ga. but can't wait to run it in my .410

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

Gobble!

Quote from: fallhnt on January 19, 2018, 01:30:19 PM
No need for me to use tss in 12ga. but can't wait to run it in my .410

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

That's where it changes the game, with the small guns. Excited to load some #10s in my sons 20 gauge to try to get him a bird this year.

old3toe

I'm aware of the density differences in all the different shot materials and sizes but what I mean is if almost 100% of heavy weight #7 pellets that make contact with a gobbler will penetrate completely through and through, and in my experience they do out to at least 40 yards maybe farther, why would the tss be worth anything more? I mean anything extra out the other side is a waste energy wise. Why go up to an alloy that is two or three times more expensive when obviously the hvywght material in #8 and #9 at the cheaper price point will still be more than needed out to 40 yards or so. And no doubt will still have the crazy pattern densities that tss has with the smaller #8, #9, and #10 shot.

Gooserbat

Quote from: old3toe on January 19, 2018, 07:19:14 PM
I'm aware of the density differences in all the different shot materials and sizes but what I mean is if almost 100% of heavy weight #7 pellets that make contact with a gobbler will penetrate completely through and through, and in my experience they do out to at least 40 yards maybe farther, why would the tss be worth anything more? I mean anything extra out the other side is a waste energy wise. Why go up to an alloy that is two or three times more expensive when obviously the hvywght material in #8 and #9 at the cheaper price point will still be more than needed out to 40 yards or so. And no doubt will still have the crazy pattern densities that tss has with the smaller #8, #9, and #10 shot.

At risk of having my hand slapped... Not all turkeys are shot at 40 yards. 
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

wvmntnhick

Quote from: Gooserbat on January 19, 2018, 07:51:41 PM
Quote from: old3toe on January 19, 2018, 07:19:14 PM

At risk of having my hand slapped... Not all turkeys are shot at 40 yards.
And that's just the cold hard truth. Fact of the matter is, and I hope that everyone understands exactly what I'm saying here, some of the guys that proclaim they only shoot 40 or less aren't exactly speaking the truth. Others proclaim to misjudge the distance. This will make the difference between a crippled bird and a dead one. Some will tell of shooting a bird at 40 on this site and brag of shooting it at a much farther distance on another board. I'm not complaining in the least but GB spelled it out pretty clearly. Last I'll say of any of it.

BottomLand54

honestly this is my though, its just like any thing. i grew up on Ford Tractors but chevrolet trucks. now ford doesnt make a tractor is is new holland and not the quality and if i were to go buy a new tractor under 100 hp it would be a kubota. when i went and bought a new truck it was a toyota.

that being said i think we are spoiled with turkey hunting shells. i am so thankful we are so blessed in America and have such a great variety to choose from. i just got my apex in the mail, and when it comes available i will get some federal tss as well. i say why not. if a man wants to shoot federal heavy weight i say praise God i got some of that as well.

shoot what you want to shoot, kill birds and what ethical range you can kill birds at. everyone of us will and have missed, i dont go hunting to miss but it happens. know what your weapon will do and the lethal effective range of it.

if you want to shoot tss shoot it
if you want to shoot lead shoot it
if you want to shoot a sling shot get you some rocks
if you want to shoot carbon arrows shoot em
if you want to shoot aluminum arrows shoot em
if you want to shoot wood arrows shoot em.

its all about the sport and thats what makes each of us different some folks like tss some dont. i dont know what it will do so i bought some to shoot.
i like federal heavy weight and i do not believe any company such as federal would make any move that would hurt there company financially, or there reputation. i am excited about whats next.

owlhoot

Quote from: Gooserbat on January 18, 2018, 10:16:44 PM
Quote from: old3toe on January 18, 2018, 03:13:44 PM

I'm pretty sure you don't understand what tss can do.  I'd post pics and tell you what the actual yardage was but I'd be shamed, slammed and some do-gooder would want me kicked off the forum.  Long story short is patern density.  #7 will not equal that of #9. Coupled with the heavier weight of tss.  It simply outperforms HW#7 and I'm not dissing the HW it's a very good load.
Pattern density? What kind of pattern density do you expect to get out of 1.5 oz. of tss 7's ?
Now 9's I get it but so far for some who have put a lot into a 20 gauge turkey gun they are having some reservations . A 15 dollar a box of 5 increase does not make some people feel all warm and fuzzy inside either.