OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

How many are switching to TSS ?

Started by Gamblinman, December 29, 2017, 03:24:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BottomLand54

Amen shoot em legally and safely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kdsberman

I'd like to switch, whether buying it loaded or getting into reloading.  I don't NEED it, but just intriguing.

RiverRoost

I love my 12ga Longbeard edition SX3 so I doubt I'll be switching since my normal nitro shells/rhino combo shoot a plenty hot pattern for me. Only reason I'd go to tss would be to go to a lighter gun in 20 ga.

kdsberman

Now after checking prices, don't think I'll be doing TSS loads this year. 

honker22

I shoot about $24 per year of TSS on a good year... 4 turkeys.  To offset this enormous cost, I will drink 1 case less of Coors Light per year.   ;D
People who don't get it, don't get that they don't get it.

rbreedi1

I'll be sticking with my Hevi Shot since I still have several boxes
Thunder Ridge Totes

Gobble!

Quote from: honker22 on January 25, 2018, 02:57:05 PM
I shoot about $24 per year of TSS on a good year... 4 turkeys.  To offset this enormous cost, I will drink 1 case less of Coors Light per year.   ;D

If I looked at it like that I'd still be shooting lead.

TauntoHawk

That's what I keep coming back to, I think $9 a shell are you out of your mind.... then I look over and see turkey calls that I paid $50,70,150 dollars for and hardly even take them to the woods some of which never simply because I have too many to carry. How many mouth calls have I paid $5-10 for not been happy with and discarded or never used

If you view it as an upgrade to an essential piece of gear the price feels different than if you look at it as just another firearm cartridge to be fired a single time.
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

wisconsinteacher

I just ordered the supplies to load 410/28/20/16 gauge and will be ordering TSS shot next week.  I figure if I do it today, I will have enough supplies for years and years to come.  I love loading for my rifles so why not shotgun.  Also, I know it is expensive but look at it this way.  If I shoot a bird and not miss or worse wound one, I can either hunt a new bird the next day or go fishing.  The few bucks extra per round is nothing when you look at tanks of gas, fishing lures, or the arrows I use bowhunting.  I know it is expensive but at the end of the day a bird over my shoulder for $5 extra dollars is better than missing and walking out of the woods with my head down.

I always think of my buddy who I call for every season.  He said his gun was great out to 40 and he has killed at that range before with his ammo/gun.  Well, after hiking for hours I call a bird into 40 yards and he missed it.  At that point, we hunted 3 more days and never filled his tag.  Last year, same thing, he shot at a bird at 35-40 and missed it.  I mentioned Hevi shot and TSS and patterning his gun but he said not it was too expensive.  The way I see it, the time and gas used to try filling his tag were greater than the one shot that most likely killed that strutter. 

wvmntnhick

If I'm carrying a shotgun, it'll b TSS for the very reason mentioned above. By the time I waste gas running back and forth trying to get on a bird, I'd like to know that when the trigger is pulled (assuming it all comes together) that the bird is getting an easy hike out with me.
I'm intrigued by the prospect of using the .410. Something about that somewhat excites me. Think I'll use the 16 ga first tho. Wanna give it a whirl before I go with the real small stuff.

honker22

Quote from: Gobble! on January 25, 2018, 03:07:54 PM

If I looked at it like that I'd still be shooting lead.

So 2 cases of Coors or 4 cases of keystone and shoot lead... hmmmm quite the dilemma

People who don't get it, don't get that they don't get it.

Greg Massey

I don't waste my money on beer or cigarette, i like spending my money on guns, shells , calls and enjoying the outdoors...turkey hunting...

owlhoot

Dang! Ain't none of you ever heard of Sam Adams,Boulevard or Leinenkugal !

BottomLand54

Franchi Affinity 3 800.00
Burris ffiii 200.00
Mount and choke 125.00
Sling 40.00
Camo outfit with gloves mask and hat 200.00
Boots 175.00
Turkey calls I would carry hunting not what I have 800.00
Thermacell 30.00
Fill my truck up with gas 65.00
Turkey vest 120.00
Decoys if I carry them 400.00
Nc sportsman annual hunting license 52.00
Box is apex 3" 9s tss 50.00

Pulling the trigger on an old paint brush beard dragging Tom at 15 yards. Shooting a 10.00 round.....priceless

Better yet it's all priceless, when the moment comes and I get up that morning get ready and head to the woods it is a day that is like no other I have worked hard all year to spend what little extra hard earned money I have to chase one of God's wisest creations and see the most beautiful sunrises and hear the spring woods come alive. Cold mornings that turn into nice cool t shirt wearing days.    I love it. It's in my blood.

Tss or lead just get outdoors and enjoy what the Lord hath made!

davisd9

Glad it does not cost me $9 a shell to shoot TSS.  If it did I probably still would though.  I pay no more for the TSS I shoot than I did Hevi shells 3-4 years ago.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer