1st tag illinois filled

Started by platinumwindow99, April 12, 2018, 09:51:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

outdoorsmen

Where you hunting? Im in washington co.

platinumwindow99

1st Bird Hamilton--2rd  Washigton  3th  Jefferson

outdoorsmen

Nice. Im pretty close to the perry co line. I had a 3yr stretch that i killed 3 birds. But past few years its been tough

platinumwindow99

Started turkey hunting in Southern  IL  in 1993 before that I was in Indiana and before that in South Dakota,  scouting daily a lot of miles talking to farmers is a key also calling  and  being where they want to be....  some year are tougher but don't give up, stay at it if not early stay late , i"ve killed alot between 11 and 1, been using decoys more as I get older started with  a strutter and late season only a hen,  open field more decoys and in the wood less decoys....at almost 76 Im still learn something new every year...damn turkeys

outdoorsmen

Most of my problem is i only own 40 acres and its solid timber.  I have no fields tp hunt. But my neighbor has a crp field. He used to mow strips in it and i would set my decoys on my edge so they could be seen. Well he doesnt mow that way any more,  and im pretty sure its to block mine and the turkeys view. If i wanna see if the birds are in his field i climb my deer stand and watch them 150yds away.

platinumwindow99

I don't have any land myself, I just hunt private land that I ask to hunt, and hunt public ground  like Corps and state  property  that available with bird on it... like I said a lot of driving and scouting, I am retired so I have the time...

Gooserbat

NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.