OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

How many are switching to TSS ?

Started by Gamblinman, December 29, 2017, 03:24:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gamblinman

With Apex, Nitro and Federal getting into loading TSS factory loads, how many will switch?
"I don't hunt turkeys because I want to. I hunt turkeys because I have to."

Coop1082

Used Apex TSS last year in my 20g 870 youth and will be sticking with it. Haven't swapped my 12g BPS over yet and don't know if I will. Fairly satisfied with the LB #5s out of it and I found myself with the 20 in the woods more often then not last year!
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019 four time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

[/img]

Happy

Don't know. If I ever go 28 guage or smaller I might. Long as I have #7 hevi weight shells for the 20 guage my boys use i have no desire to switch.

Sent from my SM-G800R4 using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

guesswho

I dont see myself switching as long as there are other alternatives.  If they quit making the Fed HW 7's I'll probably go to TSS once I run out of the HW's.   Either that or go back to the 12 with supremes or long beards.  I'v shot a couple of the long beards and didn't care for them.  To tight for my liking.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Farmboy27

I really can't see myself spending that much for shells. If I shot a 20 gauge or smaller then maybe. But I never minded the extra weight of a 12 and son started using a 12 so with all the good (and cheaper) loads out there, I think I'll pass on the tss.  I gotta admit though, I am curious to see what our guns would do with a heavy load of 8 or 9 shot!! 

buzzardroost

If the federal HW goes away, then yes I'll switch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

marshboy

I'd try them at the range.
Here in Iowa, I believe that any shot size smaller than 7.5 is not legal. 
Greg

Double B

I'm sold on LB Xr 6's in a couple pretty average 12 ga guns, can't see reason for the added expense....... I wouldn't have as much money to buy calls with!     :gobble:
Followed by buzzards

Greg Massey

I will try a box of the new Federal Tss but i just bought several boxes of the Federal HW 7 ...yes these shells are going to be discontinued...Midway USA has already listed them as Discontinued ... so if you want some of these shells better get them while the getting is good ....

Yoder409

Not me.

I hold my nose and pay the premium for Fed HW 7's for the 20 gauges.  LBXR's are just too good in the 12's.  I'll stock up on the HW 7's and if I run out, I'll either go back to lead in the 20's or sell a couple nice little guns...........
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

KentuckyHeadhunter

Quote from: Double B on December 29, 2017, 06:00:15 PM
I'm sold on LB Xr 6's in a couple pretty average 12 ga guns, can't see reason for the added expense....... I wouldn't have as much money to buy calls with!     :gobble:

This :z-winnersmiley:
Loyal Member of the Tenth Legion

fallhnt

Looking forward to trying it in my .410.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

drake799

I guess I'm just cheap but I couldn't stomach paying the price of what those would cost. I've shot some magblends and some Hw's   But I've never walked up to a turkey and noticed it being more dead by some of those more expensive shells than some cheap ones I've shot. I take Conservative shots and 40- is a long shot to me. I just rather them be close lol.  They just aren't necessary to Kill a bird at reasonable range  with that being said  Im sure they'll fly off the shelves  and some good ol boys will have Facebook post tellin how they "Got it done"  at 80 yards!!!  Just not by me lol

Gooserbat

I load my own but if I hadn't invested in material and tools I'd be shooting Apex most likely.  To me it makes little sense not to.  We spend coin on calls, gas, camo, boots, chokes, and time so why skimp on shells.  In the end our ammo is the connection between us and the bird.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

guesswho

Quote from: Gooserbat on December 29, 2017, 10:37:31 PM
I load my own but if I hadn't invested in material and tools I'd be shooting Apex most likely.  To me it makes little sense not to.  We spend coin on calls, gas, camo, boots, chokes, and time so why skimp on shells.  In the end our ammo is the connection between us and the bird.
You obviously haven't seen my camo, calls and especially my boots :TooFunny:   I hear what your saying though.   
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff