OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Lonnie Mabry Visit

Started by Dukejb, November 04, 2017, 06:20:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dukejb

While visiting my in-laws in Rome, GA I decided to sneak out and make the pilgrimage to Lonnie Mabry's shop.  I ended up spending about 3 hours talking turkey with him and thoroughly enjoyed it.  He is a really nice guy, and to a novice turkey hunter like myself a wealth of knowledge. It took more self control than I knew I possessed to only leave with 5 calls 2 of which were for co-workers.  The box call is purple heart and chestnut that came from a barn built in Northeast Tennessee in 1850.  Three of the strikers had handles built from the same chestnut.  The pots are walnut, mahogany and cedar.  The wing bone call is my first call of that type, and I sound terrible with it.  I'll keep driving my family and dog nuts practicing with it, and hopefully by spring I won't scare the turkeys too badly with it.  If you are ever remotely near Waleska, I highly recommend stopping by for an hour or three.  I have a strong feeling that it will be a regular stop for me whenever we go to see my in-laws.

Clardh

Thanks for sharing Dukejb! Being from the northeast, I'm not sure if I'll ever get to meet the man. Hopefully next years visit to Unicoi with include a visit to Lonnie's shop. Figures crossed!

Dukejb

Thanks MDTOM84. Unfortunately the cedar one was for one of my coworkers. I kept the walnut pot, but a cedar for myself will be on the list for the next visit.

Clardh, it would be well worth the time. I haven't made it to Unicoi yet, but hope to at some point. We used to camp near there when I was a kid and I love that part of the state. The other stop worth making if you're a fly fisherman is Bill Oyster's bamboo fly rod shop in Blue Ridge. His rods are way out of my budget but absolutely gorgeous.

3bailey3

I was just wondering why Lonnie will not ship calls, anyone know?

Dukejb

Quote from: 3bailey3 on November 05, 2017, 07:53:14 PM
I was just wondering why Lonnie will not ship calls, anyone know?

He told me he wants you to be able to try multiple calls and pick which one works best for you. I get the suspicion he enjoys the visit as much as if not more than the sale too.

mgm1955

Grey Owl

sbbow

You did well for yourself. Congrats on some great calls!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk