turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

What soundboard to use under titanium and copper

Started by twyatt, May 17, 2017, 06:06:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

twyatt

Been working with my father making some pot calls lately, and want to try something other than the slate over glass combo.   I picked up some titanium and some copper, and wanted to see what the preferred sound board is to use under each of those.   These will be 3.5" pots, and I have Bloodwood, Padauk, and Walnut right now to use as my pot material.  I have 3" slate and glass on hand I can use as a soundboard, or don't mind buying/making something else.   I have no experience with wood soundboards though.

Any suggestions?   I also picked up a piece of 3.5" half blasted copper just out of curiousity, but have never actually seen that on a pot - so what's the "half blasted" part for?

Lastly, are there variances in slate?  Lately we have made 2 identical pots, only to have one run with ease and the other seems like the striker doesn't want to run across the slate smoothly - everything else being perfectly the same even when measured with calipers.   Can't for the life of me figure out why, but there seems to be variances in the "feel" of the surface of the slate.

wvlimbhanger

I put glass under my copper and titanium calls.  I've seen of several guys liking slate under the copper as well.  Try both and see which one you like best.

Those coppers get addicting though.....unique sound compared to other surfaces and are a beauty when they are done as well.

Disney

I have a titanium over slate in a 3.25 inch Kingwood pot and it's awesome. I have been using glass under all my copper pots, no matter what size. I've been wanting to make a few copper over slate. I think it might tone it down, maybe a little more mellow. I'm just addicted to copper over glass. I'm sure the slate will sound good too. You just have to make one of each and see what you like best.
Maker of Timber Tune Custom made pot calls. Fine domestic and beautiful exotic wood.
timbertunes126@gmail.com

Kbest

twyatt, where did you find your titanium ?  I just used my last piece and cant seem to locate any>
Kevin Best
870-917-5911

twyatt

This thread is a year old.  Back then I got it from Pappy when he still sold it.  No luck finding any lately though