Main Menu

Pre Season Calling

Started by shootumindaface, February 10, 2011, 11:58:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shootumindaface

Quote from: GobbleNut on February 21, 2011, 10:24:56 AM
Quote from: shootumindaface on February 21, 2011, 12:00:10 AM
Some of the best turkey killers in the country run a call before season

Seriously, I think the point to be made here is for those average guys that aren't the "best turkey killers".  If the newbies or less experienced here think they can go out before the season and call in birds in the areas they hunt, we are doing them an injustice by not telling them the truth,.... that they are, in all likelyhood, hurting their chances of calling in those birds later during the season.

The "best turkey killers" are often those guys that have dedicated themselves to becoming the best callers they can be, and spend lots of time finding birds to hunt, and hunting lots of days in a lot of different places.  They are the exception, not the rule. 

We, as a group, need to try to help those people that come on here by giving them good advice.  To tell them, or let them think, that it is okay to go out and call their birds before the season is doing them a disservice. 

Im sorry but I have no problem with it

RaspyD

I have done it before and will do it again. Why?? Because I like to see them and hear them gobble!

If you work a gobbler one day and don't kill him, do you give up on that bird and never hunt him again??  Not me!  I have missed a bird one day and have gone back the next morning and killed the same bird.  How educated was that bird?

What I think it comes down to is the individual's comfort level in being amongst turkeys.  I ain't scared. ;)

I also think it's a good idea for hunters to get out into the woods to practice their calling before the season.  It's not the same as calling from the comfort of home or in your truck.  You get a much better feel for how loud or soft your calling should be and how realistic the sound of your calling is when you aren't in a comfortable position.  You don't have to do it where you hunt, but get outdoors somewhere and practice.
Perfection Turkey Calls

savduck

I dont do it. I think thats the problem with public land birds......to much people pressure these days. Leave them be until opening day. Turkeys are creatures of habit....they will be in the same spots year after year until habitat change or people pressure change them.

If I had my way, possessing calls on public land before season would be a ticket.  Grab binos and walk silently. Get up early and they will gobble on their own....you dont need to make them do it.

Georgia Boy

MarkJM

I dont call to my birds before the season, I will take a locator call in the evening and stand on my porch and hoot a couple times. A couple hillsides away I hear them gobble and the next morning I go setup about 100 yards away :icon_thumright:
MuellerCustomCalls

hookedspur

Quote from: TrackeySauresRex on February 11, 2011, 09:44:33 AM
Turkey hunter's 1st Commandment, Thou shall not call turkey's before the season.  :D
:TooFunny: :you_rock:
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

Gobbling Buck

Quote from: vaturkey on February 11, 2011, 09:43:03 AM
IMO   That is a BIG NO NO. You are educating those birds. Just watch and pattern those birds . Dont call to them until you are ready to drop the hammer on them. 

:newmascot:

X2

pdqt

I woudn't do it!!!!  On the other hand it has a lot to do with the turkey. I have killed them that have been shot at and hit some [too far] the same season.  Others that have been shot at or seen somebody shut up at the first call.  You aare taking chances every time you hunt.   :fud:

FttFttVroom!

I don't think it hurts in the least to call turkeys whenever you want.  I've gone out and called in birds for a guy and he ended up missing.  We got on the same group of toms later that day and they came right in for another look, none the wiser I might add.  I have no idea what goes on in a turkey brain, nor will I ever assert that I do.  All I know is sometimes we make these birds out to be much harder to kill than they really are. 

chatterbox

Quote from: FttFttVroom! on February 26, 2011, 11:28:15 AM
I have no idea what goes on in a turkey brain, nor will I ever assert that I do.  All I know is sometimes we make these birds out to be much harder to kill than they really are. 
:agreed:

jcarter

You have not hurt your chances as far as the birds are concerned. But those 3 other guys that were out scouting for birds and heard them fire off when you called, well you havn't hurt their chances either. ;)

surehuntsalot

I NEVER call at any time before opening day
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

mrlongbeard

I never do that. not a good idea in my opinion. I just stay home and call in the house to the wife.
She loves it  LOL !!!!