OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Blackout choke tubes?

Started by mommicked, January 31, 2018, 08:23:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mommicked

Hey yall, been a long while since I've posted. I tried to search here but only found 1 topic about these Bass pro shops choke tubes apparently made by Carlson's. Has anyone used one ? do they throw a good pattern? I've read good and bad things on web searches.
Learning something new, on every hunt.

Izzyjoe

Just depends on what you are gona use it for, for turkey hunting I'd feel it would be more on the open side. But it would work at reasonable ranges.

briton

Tried one in 20ga for my mossberg. Was no more than a 30yd gun with four different shells including the fed hw. Just my experience with it.

mommicked

I talked to Carlson's today before I bought the choke and asked if I could also use this choke to shoot BB or #4 buckshot for coyotes and they said it would be fine, and pattern similar to their Coyote Choke at longer ranges. My factory Rem. extended, extra full choke is about 30" @ 30 yrds. w good density in the middle, the ported Blackout choke is 5/8" or so longer than the factory non ported choke. I will be patterning it tomorrow w as many different loads I and my 78 yo daddy want to shoot and will post some pics soon. I was impressed how fast I was connected to a technician @ Carlsons and how he answered my many questions. I'll be shooting old school rounds in the 1187 nwtf and maybe a #4 LBXR in my NEF 28" full.

Learning something new, on every hunt.

mightyjoeyoung

Think you're gonna be handicapped range wise with the patterns you get with turkey loads, but lets hope for the best...
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.