OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

My Gun/Choke/Ammo Combo Will Outpattern Yours...

Started by Spurs Up, September 01, 2017, 03:06:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spurs Up

It's "throws the best pattern.  You won't find a better one."

Unless you're a card shooter or trying to win a butterball at a "turkey shoot" by placing the greatest number of pellets in the smallest area, what does that statement--"the best pattern"--even mean???

For hunting purposes, I'm convinced it's in the eye of the beholder. Just like beauty.

I'm as guilty as any for once chasing numbers of pellets in a 10" circle at a certified distance of 40.00 yards during windless, warm days.  And, I attribute more missed shots at close range--what used to be chip shots--to those misguided efforts to achieve the "hottest core."

Don't get me wrong.  I still shoot at paper, draw circles, count holes, assess gaps, evaluate pattern evenness and distribution, calculate pellet retention rates...in 10", 20" and 30" circles.

However, I look now for more balance and evenness over a 20"+ diameter at 40 yards, as long as there are no big gaps, but I still can't tell you what's best.  Moreover, I think it varies with terrain, vegetative cover and from set-up to set-up.

So...what kind of pattern gives you the most confidence and best results (dead turkeys)?

Tombo

A hot core of tss 9s i.e. 310 plus in the 10 makes me happy, happy, happy

Old Gobbler

Your question is as relative as " best hunting dog " or " best chicken soup " or something of that nature , what's best ...is what's best for YOU and YOUR PARTICULAR needs --  just cause it's the best for someone else , doesn't mean it's best for you .....

People tend to obsess on equipment performance, it's a pastime for off season hunters , I'm not sure if it has any realistic  substantive benefits - I have watched with greatest predictable amusement as folks for years on archery forums trade in their 12 month old $1,000 bow they shoot quite well , to spend even more money on the very latest Bow that shoots 3 feet per second faster , and guess what , I don't think a deer at 19 yards will ever know the difference

:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

Longshanks

220+ HTL in a 10 @ 40

We call the turkey inside 40yds and if not we don't shoot. Keeping it real simple.

Farmboy27

I personally feel sorry for all the innocent pieces of paper that are needlessly shot every year. Many of these "targets" are shot just for the thrill of it. Even worse, statistics show that the majority of these poor pieces of paper are never even used by shooter. Most are examined and then discarded or even burnt!  Truely heart breaking!  Something must be done to protect this resource before it is gone. I propose a nation wide bag limit of 5 piece of paper a year. And any unwanted targets should be donated to a worthy charity.

daddyduke

Colossians 3:12 Since God chose you to be the holy people he loves, you must clothe yourselves with tenderhearted mercy, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience.