OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

The high country of Appalachia...

Started by Grey Owl, September 01, 2017, 12:36:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Owl

Quote from: falltoms on September 01, 2017, 08:31:29 PM
I've hunted in the Rockies, I've climbed up and down the bitterroots in Idaho. But I still love my Appalachians best. Great picture. That sure looks like the Dolly Sods in West Virginia

I know what you mean. I lived almost 8 years near Butte, Montana and love the Rockies but there's just something about the Appalachians in my soul.

That pic is just off the Appalachian trail on the state line between NC & TN. I'm looking off the White Rocks into Madison County, NC

falltoms

Quote from: Grey Owl on September 02, 2017, 08:23:33 AM
Quote from: falltoms on September 01, 2017, 08:31:29 PM
I've hunted in the Rockies, I've climbed up and down the bitterroots in Idaho. But I still love my Appalachians best. Great picture. That sure looks like the Dolly Sods in West Virginia

I know what you mean. I lived almost 8 years near Butte, Montana and love the Rockies but there's just something about the Appalachians in my soul.

That pic is just off the Appalachian trail on the state line between NC & TN. I'm looking off the White Rocks into Madison County, NC
[/It's beautiful. I've have been down around that area. If you ever get the chance. Make the trip to see the Dolly Sods. The landscape and habitat looks like something you would see in northern Canada, with breath taking views. You live in an awesome place to get views like that. Good luck this fall

jed clampett

Beautiful....beats the heck outta Flatlands of cornfields and soybeans

dirtnap

I hunted in Madison county for the first time this past spring up around max patch.  It was close to Tennessee line.

I quickly realized how out of shape I am walking those hills.

Grey Owl

Quote from: dirtnap on September 02, 2017, 07:50:40 PM
I hunted in Madison county for the first time this past spring up around max patch.  It was close to Tennessee line.

I quickly realized how out of shape I am walking those hills.

Haha. True story. I'm not far from Max Patch.

Cut N Run

...at the bottoms of those hills is killer trout water too.  Win/Win.  I'm half way between there and the coast.  Those mountains will absolutely kick your @$$ if you're not ready for it.  Are there any elk near you yet?

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

Grey Owl

Quote from: Cut N Run on September 03, 2017, 04:22:05 PM
...at the bottoms of those hills is killer trout water too.  Win/Win.  I'm half way between there and the coast.  Those mountains will absolutely kick your @$$ if you're not ready for it.  Are there any elk near you yet?

Jim

We've had one cow elk pass through our county one time that I know of.

RutnNStrutn

Quote from: Happy on September 02, 2017, 07:40:04 AM
Country Roads.......Sent from my SM-G800R4 using Tapatalk
Take me home, to the place, I belong.......

Cottonmouth

My favorite place on Earth. Love the history, the culture, everything about it. Would love to retire and spend my last days there.

Grey Owl

Quote from: Cottonmouth on September 09, 2017, 08:26:13 PM
My favorite place on Earth. Love the history, the culture, everything about it. Would love to retire and spend my last days there.

Come on in Cottonmouth you're welcome.

BowBendr

Ive hunted the mountains of western NC for 40 years now. Killer trout fishing, mediocre turkey and deer numbers, and a healthy bear population. I truly have been treated with the most spectacular sunrises God ever made. If I had to leave this place you might as well go on and dig my grave...