OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Diaphragm Call or Yelper

Started by Uncle Nicky, September 01, 2017, 09:54:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

maytom

Another vote for the mouth call. I recently got a wingbone call and it's not very user friendly. Picked up the mouth call way much easier.

quavers59

Hey there Uncle Nicky. I myself don't use mouth horseshoe callers. Good thing that I have my natural voice for when I can't move my hands. Wingbones and yelpers  takes some practice. I have a bunch that I have made from both hens and jakes, and gobblers. Even 2 were made from the wing bones of a rooster pheasant. They sound just like a jenny. For gobbling- I stick to my Red Wolfe gobble callers and and a Dick Turpin Teak Box with a Beech lid. The gobbles on this box are awesome. It is going with me this Fall to the Mountains of North New Jersey  and Orange County , New York.

Cut N Run

I'm much less likely to screw up using a diaphragm than a wing bone.  I've gone through years where I dedicated all my calling in that season to using a single type of call, just to improve my calling skill set and versatility.  One never knows when you're going to lose or damage a call and it seems stupid to limit yourself to a single type of call.  Thirty some years ago I slipped on a rock when crossing a creek in a hurry and fell on my old Lynch, which broke it.  I wasn't a good enough caller on my diaphragm to convince the gobbler to investigate the noises I was making & he left, so from then on I started working on learning one type of a call at a time until I was proficient on multiple kinds.

To be fair, I have spent the least amount of time practicing on a trumpet or wing bone. They definitely take the longest time to get the hang of.  I've probably killed the most birds with a slate, then a diaphragm, finally a box.  These days I use all three almost every time I hunt.  I have heard some great trumpet and wing bone callers, but I'm not one of them.  Count me in the diaphragm group.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.