OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Looking at a new piece of ground to hunt...

Started by lightsoutcalls, April 14, 2011, 12:42:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lightsoutcalls

Actually it is a WMA about an hour drive from me.  The area covers portions of 3 different counties and is a whopping 150,000 acres.  I have a faithful customer that took some friends and all tagged out there last year.  I will be trying to get some insight from him on a general area to try, as 150,000 acres could be like looking for a needle in a haystack. 
Looks like we may hunt about 3 days and camp in the national forest.  Man, I'm looking forward to getting away from work and the shop!  The link below is an "interactive map" from the Arkansas Game and Fish.  The terrain is pretty varied with mostly east/west running ridges.  It is supposed to be a mix of hardwoods and pines with some foodplots.  My past experience with "foodplots" that the AGFC manages have been overgrown fields plopped down in dense woods.  We'll see...

http://gis.agfc.com/?coords=-93.71555,34.74910&scale=144447.638572
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

redarrow

Murder Creek sounds like an appropriate place to put the smack down on one. good luck. :icon_thumright:

bowhunter84

Quote from: redarrow on April 14, 2011, 01:38:38 PM
Murder Creek sounds like an appropriate place to put the smack down on one. good luck. :icon_thumright:
:agreed: :icon_thumright:

hobbes

The good thing about turkeys on 150,000 acres........instead of a plain ole needle in a haystack.......they are often blabbermouth needles.

cuttinAR

Your getting close to the bluestem area in the NF out that way.  The plots are actually maintained fairly well.  Most are not planted yearly, but turned over every three years or so.  Makes good nesting and bugging habitat.