turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Want to try a different type of hunt this spring

Started by fountain2, November 24, 2017, 07:25:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fountain2

I'm looking to try a semi guided or diy hunt this spring for my wife and I.  I've never done a hunt like this and hope to make it as enjoyable and successful as possible.  Nebraska is a state that's on my list to hunt.  The population seems good throughout the state.  I'm not opposed to other states if some of you have any insight.

I'm not 100% sure how to go about this.   I have done a bit of reading and it seems that NW Nebraska has a fair bit of public ground.  Unless we could find a reasonable semi guided outfit, we will possibly try some public land.

2eagles

Id like to try Nebraska myself. But after what the Iowa Hawkeyes did to the Huskers yesterday, I'm afraid to even drive through on I80.

texasturkeygirl

My husband & I are also planning to hunt spring turkeys in Nebraska in 2019, so I'm following this feed and hoping you get more information.

HookedonHooks

It depends on your intentions of subspecies, from the sounds of it, you're going after a Merriam. If you want a "pure" Merriam, NW Nebraksa, in the farthest portion is definitely a good place to go. South Dakota would be the next suggestion as far as much accessible land to choose from. If it's not a particular bird your going after, and rather just a traveling hunt, I'd recommend NW Kansas. There's dozens upon dozens of WIHA properties and plenty of WMA and state lands to access. This region will have primarily Rio hybrids, but the plethora of birds should make for a very enjoyable trip. Truth is in Nebraska bird numbers have fallen, and in my opinio,  there's no better place in the country  to public land hunt right now than Kansas.

I'm a Kansas resident, and grew up in Missouri, so I get  to hunt MO/KS very hard and could tell you about spots across the whole portion of both of those states. I'm gaining knowledge on Nebraska and Iowa after the last couple seasons, and looking to make them both annual spots. PM me if you need any more information, or have any other questions that I may be able to assist you in.

texasturkeygirl

Cove

The satisfaction that comes from knowing you were responsible for everything from "ground up" is unmatched, my opinion of course.

Nebraska is a great state to DIY. Pick out several areas so that you have multiple options when you arrive. Scatter your potential starting points as well, birds can be acting completely different 20 miles away. If you're looking for a Merriam I would target another state. If you're just looking for a turkey, I would suggest any other area in Nebraska over the northwest corner- it gets pressured more than any other area of the state. Can you make it happen in the area? Absolutely. But why not work toward a little less popular area? From my experience there are birds throughout the state and it's not difficult to locate public turf to do it on.

texasturkeygirl

Great advice, COVE.  Think we'll plan on staying away from the NW corner of Nebraska.  We already have a true Merriam from Wyoming so we're okay with a hybrid from another section of Nebraska.

WW

Fountain, I'm hunting NW Nebraska in May. Not far from Harrison. I'm definitely going back to hunt with the guy in Kansas that you told me about last year, but it may be in 2019.

fountain2

^ I tried to get with him for a hunt this spring and he is booked up.  I guess I gave too many people his info!