turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Crystal call squeaking

Started by jb1069, July 06, 2017, 08:34:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jb1069

Bought a new crystal call a few weeks ago. When I got it I couldn't have been more impressed. It came pre conditioned and even I could make good turkey sounds. Seemed so easy and I was glad I finally jumped out there and bought a quality call. Now that I have played with it for a few weeks it has developed a squeak. I have to get everything just right but every few notes I will still get a squeak. So I figured it and the striker need roughed up. I have tried a conditioning stone, scotch brite and 320 paper. It gets a little better but I cant totally get rid of the off notes. Any help or suggestions on getting it back?

davisd9

180 grit sanding screen on crystal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

jb1069

davisd9

After conditioning make sure dust is off the surface, a dry breath of air usually does the trick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

merriamsman

Always sand in one direction, not back and forth, then blow the dust off.

M Sharpe

I use a conditioning stone on my crystal calls and 120 grit on my strikers. 320 sounds like too smooth to me. Make sure not to change the shape of the striker tip. Is it a straight tip or flared tip??
I'm not a Christian because I'm strong and have it all together. I'm a Christian because I'm weak and admit I need a Saviour!

Coop1082

Occasional stone, but usually 120 grit sanding screen on my crystal and glass calls. Maroon scotchbrite for striker tips. Twist until the tip is clean and free of build up.
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019 four time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

[/img]

mspaci