turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

F150 vs chevy\gmc Sierr@ ? Which

Started by TheSportsman, June 23, 2017, 12:03:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GunRunner

Have owned 2 Ford F-150's, 2 Chevy Silverado Z-71's, and 1 Toyota Tacoma.

Drove the 2013 Tacoma less than one year. No technical issues with the vehicle at all. Several friends have had very good luck with their Tacoma's which convinced me to buy one.  But I just could not get comfortable with the smaller truck. I felt confined and cramped. I got rid of it and I must say with minimal financial losses.

Chevy's were 2001 and 2005 models. Both had electronic issues that were disappointing and one of those was on both the 2001 model and 2005 model, meaning to me that GM engineering was lacking. Also both had very tight suspensions and the ride was very bouncy.

First owned a 1987 F-150 2x2 and it was the best truck I have owned period. Reliability was very good and drove it for 14 years with no major issues. I now own a 2015 F-150 4x4. Very quiet smooth ride. I am very pleased.

Needless to say ..... FORD F Series for me.

GunRunner

dutch@fx4

Had a 14 traded uo to a 16 f150 borg with the 5 l motor. Love them .lors of power great in fuel. No problem at all.:

GobbleNut

I am no mechanic, or mechanical expert, but here are my observations from owning vehicles for the last fifty years.  First of all, the precision that has come about over the last couple of decades in terms of engineering and precision in the manufacturing process have resulted in vehicles/engines that can easily get 200,000+ miles with relatively few issues. 

Also, the assembly-line process is so automated and structured nowadays that there is very little variation in the vehicles that come off of the assembly line.  However, with any make or model, there are "lemons" that come out of the assembly line due to undetected weaknesses in the vast array of parts used to build a vehicle. 

What does that mean in terms of buying a vehicle?  To me, it means that, regardless of the make/model, anyone that purchases a vehicle is, to a degree, at the mercy of the random possibility that the truck/car they choose is "the one" out of many that is destined to have problems. 

For me personally, the first truck I bought was a new Toyota,...specifically because of its reputation for reliability.  That truck turned out to be the worst "nightmare" vehicle ever.  I had nothing but problems with it and finally got rid of it, as I recall, when it was six years old and had less than 90,000 miles on it. 

The next vehicle I bought was a Nissan Frontier (which curiously has not been mentioned in this thread), mainly because of the price difference between Nissans and "all the rest" of the 4X4 trucks available.  That truck, and the other two Frontiers that I have owned since (the most recent with 217,000 miles on it), have turned out to be great, durable vehicles, and I guarantee I have taken them places on a regular basis that most "sane" folks would say "I'm not taking my truck there!".

Now, I am not here as a Nissan salesman.  The point to be made is that in today's market, even the lowly Nissan, which nobody here has mentioned as their preferred choice for a truck, makes a product that is reliable and durable,...given that you don't end up with one of the occasional "lemons" that come off of the assembly line of any manufacturer. 

To put it in turkey hunting terms, it is like going to a gobbler you hear in the distance.  You don't know what you are really getting into until you get there and have called for a while.  With trucks, you really don't know what you getting into until you get it and have driven it for a while...  :newmascot:

guesswho

Biggest improvement you've seen was when the vehicle of choice went from wearing horse shoes to rubber tires ;D
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

GobbleNut

Quote from: guesswho on July 11, 2017, 02:39:23 PM
Biggest improvement you've seen was when the vehicle of choice went from wearing horse shoes to rubber tires ;D

:TooFunny:...Naw,...the biggest improvement was when I saw Barnie knock off the square edges on a rock so it would roll,....Ya'Goob!   ;D :toothy12:

Ihuntoldschool

Either one, as long as you are buying American you can't go wrong.  Stay away from those foreign jobs.

stinkpickle

Quote from: Ihuntoldschool on July 11, 2017, 09:57:15 PM
Either one, as long as you are buying American you can't go wrong.  Stay away from those foreign jobs.

Where the manufacturers are headquartered?  Where the materials come from?  Where the parts come from?  Where they're assembled?

kyturkeyhunter4

I've had both and I love my ford f-150 ten times better. The ford will out last the Chevy

blake_08

I've got a supercrew fx4 with the 3.5L ecoboost and after 2 years owning i'm still in love with it. i've put around 20,000 miles on it and no issues at all so far. I traded in a silverado crew cab z71 with the 5.3 and i don't regret it one bit. The ford has so much more room and a lot more power. That 3.5L Twin Turbo is a power house!! I ran 35 inch tires on both and the ford only gets about 15mpg, which is better than the silverado done. The ford has a way smoother ride than my silverado had too. The way it's looking right now, I'm going to stick with ford.

RutnNStrutn

Quote from: Tail Feathers on July 09, 2017, 02:13:07 PMCongrats on the retirement Jim!
I drive a Tahoe for work.  They use oil from day one.  Amazing to me that GM says it's normal for a brand new vehicle to use a quart of oil every 2K miles.  We've had lots of AC and electrical issues in the fleet too.  Admittedly, although much of the problems seem to be gone in the latest 2 year models.
I drive a Tacoma.  It's been a good one.  113K miles and it's the most reliable truck I've ever owned.  I may go for a bit more comfort next truck.  The Tundra will get a strong look but I'll drive them all before I decide.  Had bad luck with Ford myself, not sure if I could make myself go that route again.
Thanks Dave!!
Just can't bring myself to drive a GM. Been in way too many, and don't like their rides or styling. Plus, I've been driving Fords (Bronco, Ranger, 3 F150's) for most of my adult life. I am simply amazed at the mileage my new F150 gets. It's been averaging 22 MPG. My old F150 averaged 14 MPG.

Tail Feathers

22 mpg?  No gripe with that mileage out of a full size truck.  My Tacoma got that much once, on a highway trip of 300 miles.  Once... ;D
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Tom Foolery

Toyota, Nissan or Dodge for me.  I've owned a Tacoma 300k miles and never did anything but change the oil.  Between me, mom and dad our Dodge 1500's had around 750k on them and other than u-joints and a few sensors we never had any trouble.  My Titan has 111k on it right now and it's been solid.  Some of my friends have Chevy's and they are constantly have some small issue.  I never could like Ford.

If you want to see how much of your vehicle is American made here is a link.  Looks like Tacoma and Tundra lead the way.

http://abcnews.go.com/WN/MadeInAmerica/page/made-america-car-american-made-13795239

I'd love to have one of these 20+mpg full sized trucks, everyone has one but me.  Mine get around 14-15 in town and 17-18 on the interstate.   

A friend has a diesel that gets 25mpg "all day long" on dash computer.  When he calculated it off the odometer he was getting 16.8mpg.

Yoder409

Quote from: Tail Feathers on July 09, 2017, 02:13:07 PMI drive a Tahoe for work.  They use oil from day one.  Amazing to me that GM says it's normal for a brand new vehicle to use a quart of oil every 2K miles.  We've had lots of AC and electrical issues in the fleet too.  Admittedly, although much of the problems seem to be gone in the latest 2 year models.

That's very odd........................

Of the 4 GM 5.3's in our family (03 Suburban, 07 Sierr@ , 09 Silverado, 12 Silverado) only the Suburban at 144K uses ANY oil at all and that's about 1 qt between changes.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

nativeks

Quote from: Tom Foolery on July 21, 2017, 09:03:40 AM

Toyota, Nissan or Dodge for me.  I've owned a Tacoma 300k miles and never did anything but change the oil.  Between me, mom and dad our Dodge 1500's had around 750k on them and other than u-joints and a few sensors we never had any trouble.  My Titan has 111k on it right now and it's been solid.  Some of my friends have Chevy's and they are constantly have some small issue.  I never could like Ford.

If you want to see how much of your vehicle is American made here is a link.  Looks like Tacoma and Tundra lead the way.

http://abcnews.go.com/WN/MadeInAmerica/page/made-america-car-american-made-13795239

I'd love to have one of these 20+mpg full sized trucks, everyone has one but me.  Mine get around 14-15 in town and 17-18 on the interstate.   

A friend has a diesel that gets 25mpg "all day long" on dash computer.  When he calculated it off the odometer he was getting 16.8mpg.
Only good thing about my Dodge is the 23 mpg hand calculated.

Tom Foolery

Quote from: nativeks on July 21, 2017, 11:22:17 PM
Quote from: Tom Foolery on July 21, 2017, 09:03:40 AM

Only good thing about my Dodge is the 23 mpg hand calculated.

Very impressive. 

We've had 3 newer model 1500's and a 2500 diesel and all got between 14mpg and 17mpg in town hand calculated.  Like I said, everyone has one but me has a 20+ mpg truck. 

We've not had one that kicks down to 4cyl on the interstate, maybe that's where we are missing out.